Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics for newbie shotgunner

Cool Basics for newbie shotgunner

I was looking for info on using 12 ga with slugs for black bear and deer . A local dealer told me it would be dangerous to use a full choke . He recommended open bore (no chokes) as best rig. I thought a full choke would increase accuracy out to 90 or 100 meters

Any advice appreciated folks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Basics for newbie shotgunner

That is quite a poke for a slug. Is it a rifled shotgun you're using? I see accuracy being a bit of an issue. Just my thought on that distance.

get a shotgun with both a waterfowl barrel with different chokes and a rifled barrel foe sabot slugs
    I use a Mossberg 835 and have the best of both worlds with the two barrels.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Just happened to have my Mossberg owners manual in front of me and they only specify that slugs should not be used at extra full or tighter constrictions. However, I don't see using a full choke giving you much advantage over a cylinder bore, and it's certainly not going to help you hit anything at the yardage you are talking. As has already been mentioned, a rifled barrel and a sabot slug are the way to go for your longer shots.

Choke keeps a bunch of pellets in a smaller group when they leave the barrel, hence when they get further away they are still closer together.

A slug does not have the same reaction. It stays together because it is one big lead piece. As I understand it, the problem with a full choke and a slug is there may be unnecessary restriction at the muzzle.

Put another way, a slug may be slightly larger than the opening of a full choke which will effect its flight.

Rifled slug barrel is the way to go.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

as stated by others, chokes are for shot.
    I have never thought of a shotgun as being a 100yard tool, and most shots would be done under 50 yards. A rifled barrel would be far more advantageous than a choke. However; if you have the rifled barrel on there it is essentially a rifle, and you don't have the advantage of the smooth bore. A smooth bore would allow you to shot whatever you choose, but distance will be limited.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

We shot a pile of slugs out of our full choke back in the day with no Ill effects. I concur that 50 yds. is the optimum range for the average shotgun and slug. I have however seen shotguns with rifled slug barrel and a good grade sabot shell that will reach out to 100 yds fairly accurately
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

A full choke won't cause any harm, but it won't help anything either. I personally would never shoot a shotgun with no choke at all, I would worry too much about damaging the threads. For certain shotguns you can buy a rifle choke that can help a little but I just use a modified.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Thanks guys, havent purchased shotgun as yey but thinking pump 12 ga. And dealers told me some come with interchangeable chokes ( ie: rifled chokes that improve accuracy. Haven't been shown any with full rifled barrels like the Ithaca deerslayers had though. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    We shot a pile of slugs out of our full choke back in the day with no Ill effects. I concur that 50 yds. is the optimum range for the average shotgun and slug. I have however seen shotguns with rifled slug barrel and a good grade sabot shell that will reach out to 100 yds fairly accurately
    thanks Jim