Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Opening Morning Regions 1 & 2

Re: Opening Morning Regions 1 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by LupieHunter View Post
    ^ THIS! If you can't ID it before you shoot it, its time to read and go over the animal/bird identification part of the CORE manual again.
    lol, can you show me in the manual where it specifies the differences in flight?

I am blown away that you can make such a blanket comment, maybe it's time to get off the BCWF director chair and into the marsh.

As a BCWF director I expect you to promote ethical hunting to newer waterfowlers and just because you can't 100% ID a duck and you are well within your bag limits, don't tell them not to shoot. Last time I checked I have a migratory bird licence not a 'mallard or wigeon' licence...

Please tell me one more time that I am not allowed/unethical to shoot in this situation:

Last 5 minutes of shooting time, raining and blowing sideways and a VERY obvious duck is flying right towards you about 20ft high. You have only shot two mallards during this particular trip out...

Can't see colour - too dark
    Can't see neck length - coming straight on
    Can't really see wing speed as it is flapping like crazy to keep moving in wind.

So let it fly by because you can't ID?

please let me know

Answer this, how is promoting positive IDing not promoting ethical hunting? IDing game is part of hunting and something we all need to know how to do, especially if you are a new hunter and new to the hunting world. If you want to shoot something when your not 100% sure what it is fine, take the risk of shooting over your limit or something your not supposed to shoot. I was raised and taught to always know what you are shooting and that is what I believe to be ethical. And to answer you're question, damn right I'd let the bird fly in your situation.

Know you're target and what it is before you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by LupieHunter View Post
    Answer this, how is promoting positive IDing not promoting ethical hunting? IDing game is part of hunting and something we all need to know how to do, especially if you are a new hunter and new to the hunting world. If you want to shoot something when your not 100% sure what it is fine, take the risk of shooting over your limit or something your not supposed to shoot. I was raised and taught to always know what you are shooting and that is what I believe to be ethical. And to answer you're question, damn right I'd let the bird fly in your situation.
    You can promote all you want and I will too BUT it is not a reason to not shoot in the above situation based on ethics.

Ethics for some are very different for others I guess.
    For example, to me it is not ethical to take 4 shots at a deer before you hit it...for some it is just 'fine' even though they are risking a wounded/unrecovered animal.

Occasionally, in very restrictive conditions, shooting a duck when you know it's a duck is just fine by me provided you are within your bag limits regardless of what species falls.

It looks like we can agree to disagree based on our understandings of ethics.

Just because the regs say you can doesn't mean you should. If it's to dark to identify then it's to dark to shoot that is ethical IMHO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Good shooting boys!

And here I thought there were only two kinds of ducks; keepers and shit ducks. But I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    You can promote all you want and I will too BUT it is not a reason to not shoot in the above situation based on ethics.

Ethics for some are very different for others I guess.
    For example, to me it is not ethical to take 4 shots at a deer before you hit it...for some it is just 'fine' even though they are risking a wounded/unrecovered animal.

Occasionally, in very restrictive conditions, shooting a duck when you know it's a duck is just fine by me provided you are within your bag limits regardless of what species falls.

It looks like we can agree to disagree based on our understandings of ethics.
    I assume you wouldn't shoot a ram that if it wasn't the last 5 mins of light and you could just see a bit a better might be over the nose.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I assume you wouldn't shoot a ram that if it wasn't the last 5 mins of light and you could just see a bit a better might be over the nose.

Lorne
    Nope, I shot both my rams mid afternoon...

Not really the same argument though, better argument would be seeing an obvious buck in region 2 at last light but not being able to count points. It's a buck so it is legal, no need to count points. Provided you have a good shot then it is ethical as is a duck at last light when you have no risk of exceeding a species bag limit.

Andrew, please answer me this. what would you do if you already had your 4 pintail in the bag , wold you shoot at the unknown duck?
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.