Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norwegian Elkhound, the good, bad and ugly

Re: Norwegian Elkhound, the good, bad and ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
    Had one for 14 years. Lost her 6 years ago. Like others have said, great around family and fearless. Chased a bear at 8 months of age. Loved that dog. Ours was not so good around other dogs/pets and quite protective of family and house. Would bark at most strangers, both in and out of the house. That being said, I had no problem leaving the family alone knowing the dog was around. A bit stubborn but trained well and very obedient. A great dog to have around. Be prepared to brush regularly. Have a lab now, but still have a soft spot for the elkhounds.
    Enjoy
    I agree with all the above except ours was good with other pets. Brought up with some so maybe that was a difference.

what is the difference with the carelian bear dog?

has any one ever tried a Karelian bear dog? Sound similar to elk hound but looks totally different.
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by noth615 View Post
    has any one ever tried a Karelian bear dog? Sound similar to elk hound but looks totally different.
    very good dogs. had some friends with 2. I found my elkhound to be more trainable.....smarter.....and more handsome. lol. just sayin

http://carelianbeardogs.com/

Contact Dawne Deeley
    Tsar Shadow Kennel

Likely the most knowledgable person in Canada, if not North America, about Carelian's.

A breed not to be toyed with IMO.

I am Norwegian so I have always been attracted to these dogs. I have also had hunting dogs my whole life. Bird dogs, hounds, Curs. Here is a link that has lots of information. I hope you enjoy it. http://barkgame.org/breeds/spitzes/

Dog_River