Thread: Scents that work for Blacktails?

Question Scents that work for Blacktails?

Trying to pull stop some bucks that keep cruising through on my trail cam so I can get a better picture. It's a tight pinch spot and the trigger is a little slow at times. So I was thinking of hanging up a scent strip to stop them.

Have any of you done that? What scent works for you? Do you use urine based scents or vanilla/anise organics?

If you have pictures showing how you placed the scent (ground, tree, stake etc) that would be cool too.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scents that work for Blacktails?

Soak a 2" by 4" rag in vanilla or smear it with peanut butter and hang it about 4' off the ground on a tree or twig. It works well! Wear rubber gloves so the deer will not get a whiff of human scent.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

PM sent ...

Will this work for mule deer as well?

Thanks. Good to see you back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post
    Soak a 2" by 4" rag in vanilla or smear it with peanut butter and hang it about 4' off the ground on a tree or twig. It works well! Wear rubber gloves so the deer will not get a whiff of human scent.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

I have a lot of deer in my backyard,so I'll try it and see if it works.

I have tried rattling and calling,from a rock bluff above my garden and rarely get any reaction at all from either bucks or does,even when I can see them .Only once did I get a buck grunting back when I tried calling.I've tried calling pre rut,full rut and post rut,doesn't seem to make any difference,they rarely show any interest,but I'll try this scent thing
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I have a lot of deer in my backyard,so I'll try it and see if it works
    Vanilla and peanut butter works because it is a scent that stimulates the deers natural curiosity. It's not like any scent they know but deer find it somehow very appealing and worthwhile investigating. BTW, anisette is another one of those aromas deer find irresistible.

I have tried rattling and calling,from a rock bluff above my garden and rarely get any reaction at all from either bucks or does,even when I can see them .Only once did I get a buck grunting back when I tried calling.I've tried calling pre rut,full rut and post rut,doesn't seem to make any difference,they rarely show any interest,but I'll try this scent thing
    If the rock bluff you call from is not a regular deer holding area or travel corridor deer will not react to calling and rattling, because they KNOW that there are no deer on the bluff. Also if that rock bluff, or any other sport for that matter, is within plain sight of the deer, calling and rattling will not work because the deer can clearly see that there are no other deer anywhere nearby. The only time close quarter calling/rattling works is if the deers vision is obstructed. Another aspect of calling that a particular sound, such as doe-in-heat only works during the rut because that is the only time of the year deer make that sound, during all other times it scares them or puts them on alert. Other problems associated with calling are; Calling to loud, to often and on the wrong spot. Calling/rattling is not a stand alone tactic but part of a well planed and executed hunting strategy.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"