Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think of this

Re: What do you think of this

Fisherdude,
    As a recruitment hunt, I think black bears can really get the kids excited about hunting. There is no need for the early rising a couple hours before sunrise and the hunt all day philosophy. You can hunt at your kid's pace. And there is a ton of bears out there. Tons of opportunity to put a stalk on, and practice all the other techniques. This evening my son and I spotted a 5'-5'2" black feeding a hundred yards in front of us. Wind was in our favor. We stalked that bear to 25 yards. Everytime his head came up, we froze. Everytime his head went back to feeding we slowly moved. Finally I felt the wind on my neck and his head came up and we were Busted and he turned and bailed. I knew he wasn't a shooter from the moment I first saw him, but putting the stalk on him with my son was a way for him to learn. It is also a good thing when kid's learn to pass on animals. It ain't always about the kill. Cody was stooked that we got that close. That is what bear hunting can do for a kid. Just can't wait till we do a stalk like that on a 7 foot monster.

I love bear hunting too.....I wish they increased the limit. I also think that bear hunting in BC is not difficult so it is a nice way to get beginners into hunting as a successful hunt is always best

I think it's harder to hunt bears in fall. Spring bear's meat and hide are better too.

But with this hot weather for the last whole week, I don't know if I should get out to find a bigger and fatter monster? They've probably rubbed the shite out of themselves.
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

Why not increase the number to 3, then you could shoot 2 in the spring and save a tag for the fall. That would seem sensible to me, and then wait a year or two and increase it to 2 and 2 if necessary. I could see a lot of people complaining (antis) if they increased the bag limit by 2 bears in one year.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Fisherdude,
    As a recruitment hunt, I think black bears can really get the kids excited about hunting. There is no need for the early rising a couple hours before sunrise and the hunt all day philosophy. You can hunt at your kid's pace. And there is a ton of bears out there. Tons of opportunity to put a stalk on, and practice all the other techniques. This evening my son and I spotted a 5'-5'2" black feeding a hundred yards in front of us. Wind was in our favor. We stalked that bear to 25 yards. Everytime his head came up, we froze. Everytime his head went back to feeding we slowly moved. Finally I felt the wind on my neck and his head came up and we were Busted and he turned and bailed. I knew he wasn't a shooter from the moment I first saw him, but putting the stalk on him with my son was a way for him to learn. It is also a good thing when kid's learn to pass on animals. It ain't always about the kill. Cody was stooked that we got that close. That is what bear hunting can do for a kid. Just can't wait till we do a stalk like that on a 7 foot monster.
    I hear a hammer hitting the head of a nail... PING - Dana's dead on w/ this post.

Spring Bear presents PERFECT opprotunity to get young'ns and/or newbs out for an almost 100% successful hunt AND harvest, pending on the picky factor.

But to convince the older resi's that Bears NEED to be utilized better/more IS the problem. Far to many people view them as nothing more than large rats that feed only on junk/garbage. And who eats RATS.

I DO!

I'm limiting myself to one Bear. I hate having more meat than I need in the freezer. So an increase in the bag limit wouldn't get me out hunting more of them.
    Last edited by Mr. Dean; 06-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean