Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear hunting

Spring Bear hunting

Could someone give me a few links that explains the basics of bear hunting (probably near the LML), I realize the subject has probably been beaten to death
    I've found some good ID threads and was thinking more tactics and maybe vague x's on a map to check out
    Last edited by misinformation; 02-21-2014 at 01:05 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Bear hunting

What information are you looking for? X's on a map? Identification of males / females / small / large bears? Caliber, bullet or broad head choice? Your question is kind of vague.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

I would also like to know what to look for in terain, low elevations, valley bottoms, or do I gotta hike the hills? Looking to get my first spring bear come April and am charged up, just need to get off on the right foot. I'd prefer to hunt near Harrison, Boston Bar, Coquihella, Chehalis areas. I'd say chilliwack but I've lived here my whole life and never seen a bear.

That is pretty much what I was gonna ask! I need my first Spring Black Bear in April. South East BC pretty much anywhere. So I will learn with you buddy.
    See you down the road

Go anywhere in the bush in pretty much anywhere in bc and you are bear hunting. If you wanna get one in April there will still be lots of snow in most places so lower elevation, first nice patch of green grass is the ticket. You will have better luck in may, look for greened up roads, hill sides, cut blocks and the biggest give away of all, bear shit.

There you go bear hunting 101.... And for you chilliwack I'm pretty sure there are lots of bears in your neck of the woods

To find bears or if your just lucky you gotta be like a bear. You gotta know how they walk, talk, scratch their head when bees are around. You have to live outside with them where they sleep you gotts sleep too there. You have to eat grass, berrys, fish, even have to eat a dead mouse. Stay outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sun, floods, even fog. Then maybe you will be lucky enough to go around the coner if the road and see a fluffy balll of fur run away.

now if you every see a bear for a long time its your lucky day. Go bye a lotto ticket because you will never see him again. Dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. But if you dont stay still. They have the worst nose and hearing that lives on Gods green earth. But there weapon is there radar eyes. They can see a fly fart a mile away. Be very scared because they are #3 dangerous animal ever. Right after the Williams Lake Overlander keno player, bears are just out right crazy. Next your gonna need a plan, a huge gun. Nothing smaller than binford 3000 ultra light housier XP... Shoot that bear until you cant shoot no more because thats still not enough. My suggestion is keep dreaming of shooting him. Then get your momma to shoot him and the kitchen sink. Everything you got because bears have 9 lives. They are called the Bengal Bear for a reason. And if you actually get the bear down you better get a second lotto ticket. And dont tell anyonr because they wont believe you. Nobody actually on record have taken a bear.. But one guy... I cant tell because i dont want to tell you it was me. Nobody will believe me. Or you.

I hope this information help and best of luck my friend. Your gonna need it and God speed... And if this doesnt help which i would be surprised if it doesnt give me a pm. I just actually made breakfast for yogi and boo so they would pick up another thieft/robbery charge for taking someones picnic basket.

Looking to get mine this year, and have been cruising the search funtion a lot. It looks like anywhere will hold bears, just depends on the numbers you want to see. I have looked for south facing slopes with cutblocks, as well as a few empty forestry roads that are abomdoned to find grassy areas.
    A good place to start or where I am starting this year is picking a general area on the backroads mapbook that has 4x4 access only or not in service roads, park, get out and stalk lower elevations at the beginning and then moving upwards later on. They are wanting to get food right away, so look into what they are eating in your area, in this time of year and pound the bush, you should find a nice one.

Lots of info on here though old threads, reports etc. Start there is always a good place

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    To find bears or if your just lucky you gotta be like a bear. You gotta know how they walk, talk, scratch their head when bees are around. You have to live outside with them where they sleep you gotts sleep too there. You have to eat grass, berrys, fish, even have to eat a dead mouse. Stay outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sun, floods, even fog. Then maybe you will be lucky enough to go around the coner if the road and see a fluffy balll of fur run away.

now if you every see a bear for a long time its your lucky day. Go bye a lotto ticket because you will never see him again. Dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. But if you dont stay still. They have the worst nose and hearing that lives on Gods green earth. But there weapon is there radar eyes. They can see a fly fart a mile away. Be very scared because they are #3 dangerous animal ever. Right after the Williams Lake Overlander keno player, bears are just out right crazy. Next your gonna need a plan, a huge gun. Nothing smaller than binford 3000 ultra light housier XP... Shoot that bear until you cant shoot no more because thats still not enough. My suggestion is keep dreaming of shooting him. Then get your momma to shoot him and the kitchen sink. Everything you got because bears have 9 lives. They are called the Bengal Bear for a reason. And if you actually get the bear down you better get a second lotto ticket. And dont tell anyonr because they wont believe you. Nobody actually on record have taken a bear.. But one guy... I cant tell because i dont want to tell you it was me. Nobody will believe me. Or you.

I hope this information help and best of luck my friend. Your gonna need it and God speed... And if this doesnt help which i would be surprised if it doesnt give me a pm. I just actually made breakfast for yogi and boo so they would pick up another thieft/robbery charge for taking someones picnic basket.
    a work of art right there, bang on my friend

Lots of info on here already but...

Bear hunting is by far the easiest way to harvest a big game animal in BC as there are lots of them and they are predictable in their habits. That being said, you have to be where the bears are. If I lived in the LML I would get up a few hours earier and head to where there is less competition and the bears are less educated.
    So...bears want food. As stated, find the areas that have greened up and then start looking for the elusive bear poop. Once you start seeing multiple fresh piles you have found your happy hunting grounds. Morning and evenings are best. Still hunt, spot and stalk, pred calling all works. Good places to start are cut blocks, power lines, south facing hills. Swampy meadows can be good.
    When you spot a bear make damn sure it does not have cubs with it.

Any newbs that are in or coming to the Smithers area can contact me and we can go out together or I can point you in the right direction. Bears are like rabbits up here.

Every time someone post a thread asking where to hunt ,and please put an X on the
    map , the frist thing i do is look how many times they have posted . It's usually the first or second post. Ha Ha Ha