Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Artistic Statement about deer cull

Re: Artistic Statement about deer cull

http://www.theprovince.com/Penticton...405/story.html

With the decline in hunter numbers, we now, and in the future, will all experience a rise in our taxes, in order to pay for deer cull's, as well as court cost to fight those , who oppose the deer cull.

Glancing google about "deer cull programs", it easy cost anywhere from $ 500.- to $ 3000.-, for each deer culled, sterilized or moved.

If memory serves me correct, Gatehouse did at one point explore the possibility of using a spear for his bear hunt ? Howe did he make out with the spear, which I also think would be an excellent and safe weapon, for hunting the pesky urban deer ?

This thread just gets stranger by the minute!
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Seriously?? This has to be THE most bizarre post in your long list of strange posts, Adriaticum.

Less time behind the computer and more time in the wilderness will give you a much better chance to kill your first deer - and a far greater understanding of what hunting is actually about.

Coach, I think you are right. If the hunters in the region are not up to it, I'm beating a dead horse.
    This is not as much about hunting as much about preventing city halls from wasting money.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Tell us, Mr hunting guru, about your involvement in standing up and doing your part for fish and wildlife and hunters and fishermen - I really wanna know.

I am no hunting guru and those who know me, know what I do for the fish and fishing.
    If you get to know me, you'll know me.
    I am just starting to understand the hunting community and like any community some people have the understanding and care to know how their money is spent, some don't.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by snowhunter View Post
    http://www.theprovince.com/Penticton...405/story.html

With the decline in hunter numbers, we now, and in the future, will all experience a rise in our taxes, in order to pay for deer cull's, as well as court cost to fight those , who oppose the deer cull.

Glancing google about "deer cull programs", it easy cost anywhere from $ 500.- to $ 3000.-, for each deer culled, sterilized or moved.

If memory serves me correct, Gatehouse did at one point explore the possibility of using a spear for his bear hunt ? Howe did he make out with the spear, which I also think would be an excellent and safe weapon, for hunting the pesky urban deer ?

Hunters walking up and down neighborhood streets with tranquilizer guns, bows and spears (seriously people!!!). ???
    I think this thread has digressed into morbid stupidity.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Hunters walking up and down neighborhood streets with tranquilizer guns, bows and spears (seriously people!!!). ???
    I think this thread has digressed into morbid stupidity.
    maybe the tranquilizer should only be used in a blow gun to give the critters a sporting chance haha

a pecentage of blame is owed to high fencing.....it's just the plain truth. Maybe they should pitch in for a transplant. Theres quite a few areas within 35 miles that need a boost to the population. Maybe it's time for the BCWF to come up with an answer and some money...other than a cull. When a permit states the meat is for the needy..first nations..or IS TO BE BURIED...the last one really denotes why it's called a cull.

No, it is this Penticton City Counsel, politicizes deer cull issue which are utterly stupid. Difficult to reply to this "$ 15.000 deer dull program". Sounds like election time promises:

"Let's spent $ 15.000 and catch some problem, urbanized deer, and give it to the nearest First Nations People". Or is this a joke ?

A glance at a various, North American deer cull programs, show that a $ 15.000 deer cull does not exist. X 10 this amount might, or might not, get some response ?

My yearly experience for chasing deer away, is to hunt them, even without firing a shoot. Just start to sneak around and trying to get close to them, will chase them away. Throw few fire crackers for good measure will add to the effect of sending a message to the deer population, and make them believe they are being hunted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Don't confuse two completely different issues here.
    The issue is urban deer within city limits that are causing problems to private property in residential areas and are a hazard to traffic.
    The deer that are being identified as "problem" LIVE by schools, in residential neighborhoods, walk down city streets.
    They are not "part time" city slickers.

Sawmill's comment is bang on.
    Deer living in people's yards simply can't be culled without huge public outcry.
    Big picture - the hunting community does not want to be associated with this type of political approach to culling deer.
    The fall out and negative press from the anti's would only cast the hunting community in a bad light.

It's a tough issue to resolve without it turning into a spectacle.
    That's why communities struggle with this issue and never find an easy solution.
    Penticton is no different.

And FYI, Paradise Ranch is not an example as it IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PENTICTON, let alone within city limits.
    Large parcels of working land that border mountainous terrain or Crown Land is not what this issue is about.
    It's city deer.
    Get yourself a map Dave. They want to trap these deer by Munson Mountain and not right in town. The mayor was in my wifes store today talking to her boss about it as they are friends. She's worked at A+K Grimms for 11 years. They are the store that processes your wild game down here. Since you seem to be an expert, you tell me why they aren't trapping these problem deer right in town then? You know whats all around Munson Mountain? Orchards and vineyards. Annnnnd FYI. What i was saying about Paradise Ranch was something i was discussing with Adriaticum when we got on the topic about contractors in general. My apologies for having an opinion lol. I almost forgot that this was HBC haha.
    Last edited by bassplayer; 02-06-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    No deer have been "culled" at Paradise Ranch since it changed hands quite a number of years ago.
    I know that. I worked there when Dr Harries had the place. My buddy Brian was one of the contractors that used to take care of the deer there up until that point.
    Last edited by bassplayer; 02-06-2014 at 12:46 AM.