Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Re: 2 3/4 still a decent choice for a gun

Quote Originally Posted by k-dawg View Post
    Wow so much awesome information.
    So here is what I'm getting out of this conversation.
    1. 2 3/4 is a good choice and will kill ducks. Only buy if it's a killer deal.
    2. 3 inch is the modern length of chamber and will provide versatility of shells (2 3/4 & 3")
    3. 3 1/2 is good for looking manly and a sore shoulder... A bit overkill.

Now here is another question for all of you folks.
    What guns do you like and or use... Semi or pump? Your reason for using? Keep in mind I'm asking because I don't know squat. Also any suggestions on guns for the budget conscious.

I shoot, a maverick 88 field a $200 pump gun, this year it has become my backup gun and my sea duck gun I have killed plenty of birds in the last 6yrs with it. It is starting to show signs of wear in the receiver, since it is an aluminium reciever and a steel bolt and carrier and the shotgun has seen 1000s upon 1000s of shells. It always goes bang and nothing on it has broken or let me down.

My new primary puddle duck/goose gun is a Win SX3 semi, this thing is amazing it fits me beautifully and I haven't had any issues that I didn't create myself (purposely fired to failure to cycle due to a lack of cleaning and getting it really dirty) $1100.00

My wife shoots a rem 870 20ga, I shoot it probably 5 hunts a year (I love that lil thing) it is a steel and lumber setup, but fits her very well and is like an extension of my hand when I wield it. it has not failed up once kills geese and ducks a like, requires a lil more love in the cleaning and oiling department to stay looking real purdy $370.00

all three shotguns are 3" chambers

The reason I don't hunt and O/U is that I can't afford the ones that I like

the bigger thing with shotgun selection is fitment comfort and price. usually the last of the list limits the ability to choose between the rest. my suggestion is find your price range, try every shotgun in that price range and then every shotgun $300 more than your limit. find the ones that fit you the best when shoulder and functioned. after that do you homework on said models, find out what other people that own them have had to say. Then from there figure out if the best shotgun for "YOU" is in the price range you originally assessed, if not find then you got to figure out how much better the fitment of the more expensive one is and if you can justify it to yourself.
    Cause at the end of the day you have to use it and be happy with your procurement, having faith in your weapon is half the mental battle. If you have lost that mental battle before you start your hunt, you won't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside.

just my 303cents
    Last edited by 303Brit; 01-05-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Over the years I've shot lots of ducks and geese with my old Rem 1100 chambered in 2 3/4. And no if you search here you will not find a story of my successes nor will you find out how many times I have hit my daily limit, some will just have to take my word for it...or not...whatever.

That said, if was buying a new or used water fowling gun (and I did) it would be minnimum 3". Why? A better question is why not? Why buy a new gun that only accepts the shortest of 12 gauge shells. Why limit yourself especially when it comes to available ammunition? I've used my 3" gun with the 2 different length shells it accepts for everything from grouse to sporting clays. Yes it's an auto loader, keep it clean, very slightly lubricated, never missed a beat...missed lot's of other things but never a beat.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

Here's a tough one for ya, what has more pellets, 2 3/4" #2 shot in a 1 1/8oz or the same load in a 3" shell? Put yer thinking caps on and no googling! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Here's a tough one for ya, what has more pellets, 2 3/4" #2 shot in a 1 1/8oz or the same load in a 3" shell? Put yer thinking caps on and no googling! K
    THis should be good
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Same!!!---Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Same!!!---Field Marshal.
    I know, it's a tough one! I was gonna also include ammo brand, but I knew that would be way to confusing! K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post

I bet google servers are currently crashing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I thought that 1 1/8 oz of lead weighs more in a 3 " shell

Now the question is which has more powder, has better range and better pattern?
    You can phone a friend if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I thought that 1 1/8 oz of lead weighs more in a 3 " shell
    You bring up a good point, my question is assuming we are shooting steel! K