Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gold panning

Re: gold panning

Wicked man

hmmm bcmarc...when your in town I will share some of my secret spots up Cunninham pass way..past Likely we always took the spring grizzly clients gold panning once or twice..actually I have founf quite a lot of gold nuggets and flower?flour? gold...the biggest was $1800 and its made into a necklace pennant..I had some smaller nuggets made into earings for Susan and some into small glass container for necklace...knew one place that was a lease and the individual showed me 3 QUART GLASS JARS full of nuggets from just that spring..but this is the famous Cariboo gold rush area en route to Barkerville...

cheers

Steven

Go to Mineral Titles Online. http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Titles/Min...s/default.aspx

You can bring up the map that shows where placer claims are staked (they're staked online now). It's true that you cannot pan on someones claim unless you have permission (they have the rights to the placer minerals). If it's not claimed - fill your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm bcmarc...when your in town I will share some of my secret spots up Cunninham pass way..past Likely we always took the spring grizzly clients gold panning once or twice..actually I have founf quite a lot of gold nuggets and flower?flour? gold...the biggest was $1800 and its made into a necklace pennant..I had some smaller nuggets made into earings for Susan and some into small glass container for necklace...knew one place that was a lease and the individual showed me 3 QUART GLASS JARS full of nuggets from just that spring..but this is the famous Cariboo gold rush area en route to Barkerville...

cheers

Steven
    That'd be fantastic. The wife will be thrilled. Basically she wants the snow to melt tomorrow so she can go try. As it stands, I'm guessing it's going to take a bit longer this year. We are fully buried.
    Designing the perfect tin foil hat.

Snow is mega deep in pg also

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Got a set for my birthday but haven't tried it out yet
    Going to try the Tranquille River?

I have been doing some prospecting since the mid '70s. Mostly in the Quesnel/Barkerville area.

Here's a few pointer for the gold seeker.

If you use a sluice you're going to get into trouble with someone sooner or later unless it is on your own claim.

You need a Free Miners Licence to stake a claim and the FML is not free BTW.

You can recreational pan where you pretty well please except for reserved areas.

You can pan on someone else's claim without permission, but it would be foolhardy to do so. Ask for permission.

The best time to pan is after the spring runoff has subsided.

Gold is heavy and settles out as the water flow slows. That would make you want to check the upstream lower edges of sand bars. Contrary to the aforementioned, check the top of the bars and down toward the lower end. Remember that the water in flood was much higher than the sandbar so the gold is going to carry a little farther.

Boulders are natural traps especially when they are located at the outlet of a water flow narrowing.

Sniping is the term associated with cleaning out those natural bedrock riffles and other gold panning areas.Most people think that if the Chinese worked and area that it is cleaned out. That may very well be, but they were a superstitious lot. If one of them died on the claim, the rest would abandom the claim no matter how rich it was so it could be worth while checking their "digs" out.

There is no sense panning where there is no gold.

There is no cure for gold fever.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Go to mineral titles online and do a tenure search. It will show you the claimed areas and you can see all the private land and crown leases too. People pay good money for their claims and don't appreciate claim jumpers....
    There are a number of panning reserves around for people to try it without worrying about being on peoples claims. There is the one already mentioned I. Yale and there is one where the coquihalla river meets the Fraser and one in Princeton and Lytton. A quick google search will give you detailed directions to them. I've had good luck at the Yale reserve. Just remember to dig in and around the rocks and avoid digging in the sand.

nice! it took me a while to actually find some gold, but i did and my arms and hands were killing me after sifting some pans but when i found a few real gold flakes( found lots of pyrite) i was pumped!.

".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    Anybody interested in panning supplies, we buy our's at SMI Electronic's in Langley. Also sells metal detectors.
    how does metal detector works on gold. only BIGG nuggetsand what price range are good MDs?

jag...You need a Free Miners Licence to stake a claim and the FML is not free BTW.// how much cost 'free' miners licence