Thread: Firearms on Commercial Airlines

Firearms on Commercial Airlines

I'm planning on buying a new rifle in Alberta and was wondering what the regulations are for bringing it back to BC on the plane. Any information would be appreciated!
    Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Firearms on Commercial Airlines

Call the airline. Air Canada was charging $50 to "process" and you must declare. I don't think Westjet was charging - - - -call first and ask all questions about it, then book online and save the $5
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I just flew up to Prince George on Westjet a coupel of weeks ago wiht a rifle.

It must be unloaded

Locked in a case

Ammo in seperate baggage

Ammo securely contained in FACTORY ammo boxes.

They wll want to inspect the firearm to ensure it is unloaded, and check the ammo. Make sure you ave the key to the lock wiht you.

You must sign a declerationt hat the firearm is unloaded and the ammo packed in factory boxes. Since I made the ammo myself, and packed it in MTM plastic boxes, I decided that *I* was the factory, and signed the declaration, however inthe future I will print stickers for my ammo loading company to avoid any questions.

When you go to claim your baggage, the firearm will be put int he "oversize/special" luggage area. Which basically means that a case that looks alot like a gun case will be abandoned somewhere in the luggage area, without tell ing you about it. This has happened every time I fly wiht a rifle.

So go get your bag and ask somone where the oversize luggage area is...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

no fee wiht westjet
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Buy a Big Duffel Bag and Stuff that Rifle Inside it and Hope they dont check!! Whats the worst thing that can happen?LOL

Take if from someone that works for Air Canada (for now!!) or should I call it Air Quebec?? Fly WestJet whenever possible.

Vent off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Make sure its registerd. The police have no clue what they are doing when it comes to firearms. My friend and I were almost arrested for not having a permit to carry when we tried to bring a shotgun on the plane. We were seconds away from missing our flight and the shotgun was siezed for not being registered.
    I've hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

I do not know if they are still in business, but the small carrier Hawk Air is very firearms friendly and is cheaper than Air Canada. You will be flying in a turbo prop instead of a jet.

Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely be flying with WestJet. I've been screwed around by Air Canada one too many times to ever fly with them again!
    Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....