Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for all you shootin/Remington 700 Experts

Re: Question for all you shootin/Remington 700 Experts

I've been using 165 Federal Fusions in my 700 BDL since i got it and have probably only cleaned the barrell 2 - 3 times in 7 years.
    Mind you, I don't shoot a lot 'cause I'm a lousy hunter.
    Never had a problem with fliers, always have acceptable groups.

I have the same gun, same caliber... I love the trigger. When I broke the gun in I snaked the barrel after every shot for the first box and a half of ammo. I shoot federal exclusively and have never had a problem. When you say flier, are they off in the white paper or maybe 1 1/2" off center at 100yds? Is it the difference between clipping and clean kill?

A lot of people (myself included) will only clean a barrel when the accuracy starts going downhill. In my old 7mm Rem Mag (Rem 700), this would be after about 80 shots. First couple 3 shot groups after cleaning would be about 1 1/4", then it would settle down to 1/2-3/4". When they opened back up to 1 1/4" or so , I knew it was time to clean and start all over again.
    I try to shoot as much as possible year round with all of my guns, but whichever rifle I plan to hunt with for the fall gets dialed in and left alone until the season is over. I will obviously clean and oil the outside and check the bore for obstructions, but will not strip it down or touch the bore until I know I'm done hunting with it. Hopefully this makes sense?

I use the horndy light mags with 165gr SST's. Shoots great and I trust my life with this gun and those bullets. Also gets 3100fps out of the old girl (I bought it used back in 1988.
    Hunting......Duh.

I'm a firm believer in a "dirty" barrel! (insert joke here). From what I have seen most people tend to over clean their guns... mostly in the off season. Maybe just refreshing the feel in the hands a bit. Use oils and lubrication sparingly Oils can trap dirt and dust - I suppose a lubricated barrel would cause a bullet to stray - makes sense to me?! My 338 takes a beating during guide season. Boats trucks quads etc... Mud snow rain etc. Heck its been to the bottom of the river twice! I have to admit, I only clean the barrel when I fear something may have gotten into it - and then I just snake it a few times. Dont get me wrong, if its dirt dirty she gets the full mean deal - then a round thru it! But as for fouling from shooting... a few snakes, no lube/oil or magic gun cleaner stuff... thats it! It still shoots bang on!

As for certain bullets and loads: My Ruger 338 and Tikka 270wsm (Federal Premium Vital Shock) shoot dead on with off the shelf Federal bullets - I got lucky and they worked and thats what I stuck with. I never change brands or bullet weights. Some barrels seem to do better with certain bullets - my friend cant shoot a Federal out of his Tikka 270wsm - bullets wont group. However it works great with another brand?!? His 7mm H&H wont group with a Barnes copper bullet?!? Who knows why?!
    So, if you cant group with one bullet/brand try another, dont give up on the gun until you are sure its a flaw in the gun. They are our there....

My experience and those of many guys I shoot with say the first one is usually off as a result of poor technique or a different hold compared to after the first shot wakes you up....

We have even tested the dirty barrel issue out by cleaning at the range and haven't seen one single difference...that being said... Everyone has their own experiences