Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dead honkers!

Re: Dead honkers!

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKiller View Post
    I'm using the same kind of spread pattern here too.
    I like to put out a black coat to look like a dog (to the geese anyway) in an area the birds want to land but I don't want them to. It will keep them from landing there, and they often will come to where I'm set up. I've fooled many poor honkers with this.
    Show me this coat dog with a pic. I want to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    Heres a few more, Lorne. we should have had a few more, but you've seen me shoot.. ha ha
    Dave.
    Are you using swan decoys as well, or are they just that unafraid?

They are goose decoys that have been kicked around for a couple years and the paint came off, so I just painted them flat white..
    Does it work? I dont know, they come in if I have them in the field or not..
    But the swans are pretty docile, and sometimes they don't leave while geese are dropping.. (if hunted, I don't know if they get as leery as the Canadas)

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    It doesn't take much to keep them from landing, atleast around here anyway. I just bunch up a coat or put it over a bucket or a stake. Anything to resemble the rough shape of a dog will keep them from landing and keep them in the air. They'll pull away and look for another place to land instead. The first time I tried this was when honkers were using a feild I shoot in but were landing too close to a road. I put out my heavy, black rain coat where they were landing the last few days. The honkers would come to land, but when they saw the coat, they would be too nervous to land and would continue to fly to the far end of the feild, right where we were waiting. HONK HONK!!!.... BOOM BOOM!!! They seem to want to get atleast a couple hundred yards away from my doggy decoy.
    Last edited by KTownKiller; 02-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.

We have been using swan decoys for both geese and ducks for years! Works shit hot!!!! ---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Done it many times with a black garbage bag, I never leave home without one! K

Having never hunted water fowl before I never knew geese had the big of a wing span
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Nice shooting guys - what the hell are you going to do with all that goose meat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

got a couple more yesterday, pretty slow, but we always seem to have at least one flock come in

Quote Originally Posted by KTownKiller View Post
    WOW! Dave. What a SLAUGHTER !!! The honkers we get, we have made into pepperoni. Only way I've found to make them taste good. What else do you do with them?

I found a schnitzel recipe somewhere here on HBC. Will definitely be repeating that one!!

Edit....I found a copy of the "loose" recipe in my email. I'd like to give credit to someone but I can't remember who originally posted this.

"OK yesterdays kill almost ready for the table. Goose Schnitzel my new favorate thing. Soaked the breast in salt water over night then pinapple juice for the day. Pounded the crap out of them with the big tenderizing mallet,. dredge in flour then an eggwash with a bit of hotsauce mixed in, then flour and egg again. Final coating of cornflake crumbs, garlic, poultry seasoning, season salt and pepper I also added a bit of curry powder. Deep fry, top with sautaied onions and mushrooms. Coating spices and topping/sauce can be changed to your taste. ALMOST as good as shooting them"

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 02-20-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....