Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yukon guiding 2012

Re: Yukon guiding 2012

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    recognize that mug anywhere.
    it's mike, roy's brother.

are you done for the season now?
    did you's get all moved back up to whitehorse?
    bet it feels good to be back north.
    Nuff of the chit chatting and old homecoming week stuff, leave the guy alone so he can post stories and pics for us....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Hunt #2. My wife joined us for the rest of the season.
    Hunted out of the same camp but a 6hr ride up another valley to set up spike camp. It would of been at least an hour shorter if the hunter didn't go for a swim on the way.
    We set up camp & went scouting for the afternoon. It stays light until at least 11:30 P:M. There were no rams found that day. The next day was a long rough ride thru thick alders & a few dangerous wash outs. Guess I'll be fixin that trail next July. We were able to find a lone ram about a mile from where we rode to, unfortunately it started to rain & the fog rolled in. We only got a short glimpse of him & he was gone. After an all day hike we started back to the horses & the fog lifted just as the ram came around a mountain ridge. He was only a 3/4 curl & to young to go after, so back to camp via the HE!! trail. My wife had spotted a nice ram from camp. Unfortunately he had only on horn.
    The next morning we were going back up that HE!! trail. It was so thick that the hunter was 25-30yds behind me. I heard he swearing about something but I kept going until I got to a clear spot to glass for sheep. When he got there I asked him what he was swearing about. He then told me about the two sweeping branches that knocked him off his horse, backwards heels over head (ouch).
    We were riding up a creek bottom & coming around a corner when I saw two rams about 400yrds up the mountain.
    Both of them were just under full curl & to young.They saw us & headed out.
    We watched which way they went & saw more rams at the top of the mountain. We had to get off the horses & start to climb to get between the young rams & the other rams so they didn't spook the ones on top of the mountain.
    It took us about three hours to get within shooting distance of the other rams. We belly crawled to a couple of rocks so the hunter could get a good rest. He was shooting a 300win mag. with 180 tsx bullets. The biggest ram was laying down & all we could see was his head & horns. No shot at 400 yds, so we had to wait for him to get up & move. It was about 20 min. & he finally stood up. I told the hunter to take the shot. Unfortunately he wasn't paying
    attention & he wasn't ready the ram did a 180 & layed back down with his vitals showing. The hunter finished putting on more clothes & was able to get a shot at the ram. Thats all it took, his dream ram was down & he was one happy camper.

For you mpotzold:
    To hard to get rifles here from Mexico I guess. The father & his rifle got rolled over by a horse when we were going after the rams. Couldn't chance sighting in while stalking 14 rams. The son had a back up if needed, which was a good thing.

another one of the hunter goin for a swim

Nice pics, looks like some laughs, were to be had.

great thread, nice swimming hole.
    I have no fear... angels follow me wherever I go.
    Big & Rich

Great pics Jon, I like your new office ( way better than the old one huh ? )

Good story , good pics , thanks
    not many clients are ready for 400+ shots , with any rifle.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good story , good pics , thanks
    not many clients are ready for 400+ shots , with any rifle.
    So BH you have any stories and pictrures from this year ?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......