Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alberta wild boar hunting

Cool Re: Alberta wild boar hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The only guys I met in Alberta that shot the boars that got loose had farmers that would phone them and tell them when they showed up in there property.
    aYup!
    i guide in some of the areas of question, and have for a handfull of years. We can count on one hand how many "boars" we've taken...

Make damn SURE it;s "free range" before you fire Ladz!

Cheers,
    Nog

Re: Alberta wild boar hunting

Anyone have solid info of where wild boars have been located in the cecil lake area, I would like to do tracking for them but this area is huge and a guy could definitely spend several years looking and never really see sign. Any info would really help.

Arrow Re: Alberta wild boar hunting

I've hunted and guided in Alberta for a considerable period of time now - working on 3 decades actually. Amongst our crew we have taken 3 boars over that time period - one on Milk River Ridge (a buddy and myself) and the other two west of Edmonton. All three were simply a case of running across them when in pursuit of different game. Only ever saw one other group, that 2 years ago. They (a boar, sow and 7 piglets) although feral, were on posted land. By the time we got the required permission and returned, they had fled to points unknown.

We cover a LOT of ground out there each year, and I can verify that the Province is anything but over-run with them.

For any reasonable chance of success, you'd be looking at a "farmed" style hunt as noted by those above.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

wouldnt mind dogging a few and useing a spear or knife.

Quote Originally Posted by longshotz View Post
    Thanks for all the input.
    Seems from the drift of the replies is that there is more hype than fact in this boar hunting thing.
    If you read the stuff from Alberta, it sounds like they are overrunning the province by breeding like........well like boars; 2-3 litters a year and 4-6 piglets each time, crop damage, attacking domestic animals and in some cases (unconfirmed) people, etc., etc.
    Indeed the "problem" seems to have taken on the parameters of scourge proportions.
    Have sent email inquiry to Sustainable Resources Alberta about the Boar problem and the details hunting them. Will post it when I get a reply.
    Thanks again.
    Looking forward to the info you get pls post it as I would like to hunt boar some day .

Being an Albertan I know lots of other Albertans asking the same question of where to hunt the escapees. My younger brother lives at Bergen,south of Sundre and he has killed 2. He says they are tough to hunt and locate . My older brother who lives near Nipawin Sask showed me video footage last week of a bunch of escapees. I plan on going to Sask before the snow is gone and try my luck.

yes there are the canned hunts and i am sure it would be fun for a weekend to do one. The prices i saw at the Sportsmen show last March were way more than $400. I think it depends on Hog size.

Good luck.

There are those rotten pigs in the Keg River, Manning area in the North we have killed a couple in the past. I am sure there is now a bounty on them

[quote=Blacktail;520299]the one in mayerthorpe is Hog Wild Specialties
    run by Earl and Debbie Hagman
    bowhunting for boars

tollfree in Canada 1-888-668-9453

A good friend of mine just got back from there. He was done in 2 days. He was looking for a larger boar that had teeth exposed and finally connected. He took his with his 300wm. dressed out around 170-175#

He said most guys sit in tree stands and wait but he likes to walk and the big boys are in the thick shit. only problem is so are the sows and little ones. Must be quick on your feet if you run into them. He said he had a chance a a really big one but gave him the slip. Also watch out when walking by the hay bales they like to tunnel into them and can surprise you when your not expecting it

The owner and his whole family are great people apparently, and you can rent cabins for 25 bucks a night I was told.

Have fun.

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

i spent 6 months in saskatchewan last year, while there i did some recon on wild boars, as it turns out some areas of saskatchewan have severe feral pig problems, however they are extremely hard to track, and extremely hard to hunt. basically what i learned was that youd better be ready to travel far, hunt hard, and come back empty handed.