Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A few thoughts on backpack hunting gear

Re: A few thoughts on backpack hunting gear

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Bring it home here on the Island, slip and fall down a muddy bank hunting blacktail and ripped a 2" hole across the ass... I can't say it shouldn't of ripped, it was a pretty good fall and I did slide several feet on my behind. Usually, if I am going to trash some of my backpacking gear the buck brush will do a pretty good job of it for me, not a slip and fall.

Carl
    If it makes you feel any better, I just cut a 2 inch gash thru my Arc'teryx rain pants last night. I've used them hard for 3 years, sliding around on the sharpest of rocks, then I go and slice a hole in them with a knife while ice-fishing...I was pissed!!

If it makes you feel any better, I just cut a 2 inch gash thru my Arc'teryx rain pants last night. I've used them hard for 3 years, sliding around on the sharpest of rocks, then I go and slice a hole in them with a knife while ice-fishing...I was pissed!!
    Oh yeah, that would suck!!! I would patch them with that MacNett seam sealer stuff...
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I've been hiking and working in BC mountains since the 80's and I've tried them all. I've been good friends with the Helly Hansen brothers for a long time, their rain gear is bar none the best there is on the market for staying dry and comfortable, durable too! If I did not have 6 sets right now that will last me until I can't tromp through the bush any more, I'd probably fancy a foray in Toray, or play tricks with Arc'teryx, maybe even pitch a tent in Event, but at my age and having tried all the best of the best, I'll stick with what I know is good stuff.

I also fell, more than once, a few weeks ago during a long decent in the snow, rocks, and branches and my Kuiu Cachuga pants abraded a little on the ass... can't really fault the fabric it was nasty. BUT the stuff is bone dry in the worst west coast downpours, light, slim fitting but roomy with great pit vents, and the hood is second to none. Had the Sitka rain gear and it doesn't hold a candle to the Kuiu stuff! Totally forget the Cabbalas' dryfit crap altogether.

Where can you buy merino socks/liners? I like the smart wool but they aren't perfect!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Does anyone here use an overbag in conjunction with a decent down bag?
    I have a MEC Merlin -3 bag that weighs about 800grams, but its gettin old and cold. I have been less than impressed with any liners i've seen so I thought an overbag might be better?? Down bags are great but not so great on the WET coast if they dont have a goretex or similar outerlayer, the insulation was pretty deflated.

I have tried a few over bags but have always found that you end up with a lot of condensation on your sleeping bag from moisture. Even the gore tex one I have doesn't breath very well. If I was you I would cash up and but a new sleeping bag. This is one thing you should spend some dough on and get the right one the first time around.

Do any of you have any input or thoughts on Feathered Friends? They make bags in Seattle. Don't know a darn thing about them but I am in the market for a bag and heard from one person so far that there bags are great. That's only one person though. Any input would be great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Not unless the mods let him back into the party..
    Speaking of mods, better make sure your first post with non-sponsor link is removed, wouldn't want you helping anybody!

Ice breaker socks are a God send, seriously!! I also have some of there t-shirts, think I might get some Kiui base layer stuff..........
    Honey Holes! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is all