Thread: Thoughts on rowers

Thoughts on rowers

Not exactly hunting gear, but I'm shopping rowers and I'm interested in hearing about experiences with rowers. I'm looking at ConceptII in particular at this time. Function and noise level(hockey games while rowing) are considerations along with storage size.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on rowers

I'm looking into the same thing. When I was in University (7ish years ago) I used the Concept 2 at the gym almost every day. Since graduating I've been seriously considering buying one but just can't bring myself to spend the $1500 or so. I think this year is the year though, and I hope to have one by the end of March. It's just a matter of trying to decide if I want have it shipped direct from concept 2, or make a a trip up to Whitehorse (closest place I can get one).

I've done a fair bit of research into them and I would say don't be scared of the price, get the concept 2 over any other brands. Their units are well built and have a great online training support tool.

For my rowers are far more enjoyable than treadmills, elliptical or stationary bikes by far, and I think, given the whole body nature of their workout they'd be a pretty good training tool for alpine hunting when coupled with elevation gain training.

Concept 2 is supposed to be the best.I have been researching backpacking workouts and rowing is recommended.Fortunately my Gym has 2 of the concept 2's so starting next week i am including it into my program.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Concept 2 are great rowers! Only downfall is that they are loud so you will need to crank the volume if you want to hear anything while watching the tube.

All rowers will be loud. They use a fan-type system and resistance is changed by adjusting the amount of airflow through them. If you are looking for something quiet go with an elliptical not a rower. But I prefer treadmills anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

I tried one yesterday. I like it. I could handle the noise while watchin' hockey no problem... way less noise than the average bar. Pricey but I think you get what you pay for, in relative terms. I don't like ellipticals, they don't complement the other things I do.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."