Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22lr shot grouse breast damage

Question 22lr shot grouse breast damage

more often than not i will take 22lr grouse head shots, but on occasion i have taken some grouse body shots. i have found as long as i don't use cheap bulk ammo and use a solid bullet the damage to the breast meat has been quite minimum, about 1/2" hole in one breast.

has anyone else had the same?
    *30-06 180g h4350*

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 22lr shot grouse breast damage

I've always used head and neck shots for grouse with a 22lr. I think I took only one with a body shot. A guy once told me if you need to take a body shot with a 22lr on a grouse. Wait for a broadside shot and shoot it as close to the spine as possible. You won't really waste anything. Qquestion is how many ppl just take the breast of grouse. Its amazing how tasty their wings and legs are

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    I've always used head and neck shots for grouse with a 22lr. I think I took only one with a body shot. A guy once told me if you need to take a body shot with a 22lr on a grouse. Wait for a broadside shot and shoot it as close to the spine as possible. You won't really waste anything. Qquestion is how many ppl just take the breast of grouse. Its amazing how tasty their wings and legs are
    yes, i agree.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

I take lots of body shots on grouse with low velocity rounds
    the only shot that can be bad is from behind as you tend to blow out the breast meat !
    side on, and frontal shots are no problem !
    if the birds are less than 20 yards i take barnet shots
    I had spent many nights in the jungle looking for game,but this was the first time I had ever spent the night looking for a man eater.
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

good scope means should be only head shots, and taken all the grouse to eat, leavening any behind is waistine the bird,, you dont buy a whole chicken in the store and leave wings etc behind,, shoot it take it out with you,, yea very good eating,, happy hunting,,

i agree about the head shots.

as i said in post 1, my experince with occasional breast shot, that there has been surprisingly minimum meat damage.
    i find this interesting, as a lot of folk are saying grouse body shots destroy the breast meat, i have not found this so.
    Last edited by SimilkameenSlayer; 01-20-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Maybe they are referring to grouse shot in the body from a big game cal. I once misjudged the poi when looking at grouse through my scoped 270 win. It hit the top of his left breast. Blew half the breast right off and I couldn't find an identifiable piece of the wing on that side. Still had some good eats on him though, just cut away the blackened pulverised part.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SimilkameenSlayer View Post
    more often than not i will take 22lr grouse head shots, but on occasion i have taken some grouse body shots. i have found as long as i don't use cheap bulk ammo and use a solid bullet the damage to the breast meat has been quite minimum, about 1/2" hole in one breast.

has anyone else had the same?
    Using solid non expanding bullets on game? tsk tsk
    (if they're plated)
    Last edited by RJ; 01-20-2012 at 08:02 PM.

I shot a grouse with a .410 this year. Was maybe 15ft away. Well I missed the head, and put every single pellet through his chest haha. Needles to say was not much left to eat. Gonna try my trusty 10/22 next year. But I do like the .410
    Last edited by sky-gunner; 01-20-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I spell like I'm ******ed

i use a .410 and take the heads off 99% of the time, when i used a .22 it allway made such a mess.
    sarg
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)