OK here goes it..i am just trying to get a little response from people who hunt with bows..maybe a little bit of arguement...
I am a bowhunter i use a compound bow and the reason for this is because i like to be upclose and personal so to speak.. i like seeing the animal come to me from distances or sneeking in and getting a shot. i do not like the idea of people buying crossbows because they are gun hunters and get an extra couple of weeks of hunting...or get a shot at an either sex season.
What I Think..
I think in the archery only seasons CROSSBOWS should be dis-allowed unless of a medical reason or a junior hunter or 65yrs of age or older.
I have been going to the Christian and Kettle valleys for the past 12 years and it used to be strictly compound and traditonal bows. the last few years has seen such an increase of crossbows it isnt even funny. and i haven't seen one of them actually go into the bush and hunt..all they do is drive their trucks or quads or snowmobiles up and down the roads consistenly. and taking shots a 60 yards (wich i have witnessed).
I am thoroughly disgusted. I am also disgusted in the elk hunt that i had planned for over a year was the same way, once the regs came out and it was an "any elk" season in the kootenays my buddy (who lives there) phoned me and said it might be bad cause of that.When i arrived the day before the season we ran into at least 8 hunters that bought crossbows within the last few months and a few just a week before and one that bought it two days before to get to take down an elk. When i brought my elk to the butcher up there on day 7 there were a few in there that were all crossbow kills.
So ....tell me what do you think? Should crossbows be diasallowed in an archery only season? I mean after all we are hunting for the love of the sport and to put some meat in the freezer and i don't think a crossbow should be considered archery.