Had lots to do this weekend but I figured I could get out for a few hours to wave my stick around, the boomy one for both days, had invited a friend for one of the days but he was busy, which was ok as it gave me an excuse to come home early.

So off I went solo, grabbed all my gear and headed out to get there 45 min before sunrise. As I walked in more like trudging in like a pack mule loaded down, I spooked a few and I soon started hearing booming from some fellow hunters, I had hoped to be set up and waiting but took a little longer than anticipated to get ready. Set up my deeks and one Mojo and sat down, started calling and waited, a couple came in from behind and flared away that would happen a few times with me peppering the low clouds with tiny balls of steel. Thought I was doing a pretty good at calling after I got a widgeon to come in from my new whistle I got from online, splash one duck.

I had a few more come in but missed them too, I don’t yet have a remote for the mojo so it continued to whirl away for all the morning by itself, it seemed to slow down for me, so I repositioned the mojo and turned it back saw another bunch 15 + coming near, and started to blow the call they change direction and circle around in behind me, I peek around and all there wings are locked and coming in all of them!

They flare up as I lift my gun and let my shots go, I down one at about 25 yards. I had a few more misses and I decided I need to get back otherwise I wouldn’t get anything done, so I packed up for the day planning on going again on Sunday.

Sunday morning came around and decided I would take out my new Benelli to try it out, I know not the best place or way to try a new anything especially a gun. Anyways as I only had a few hours this day I left my Mojo home and just went with the deeks, I have read that it may scare them away some in the later end of the season, did I make a mistake? Got there the same time just and slogged out to get set up, as I did, I noticed that there didn’t seem as many ducks as Saturday. A few flew by and I called they just kept going, I figured they had someplace else to go set in their minds. A couple more flew by and few more calls turned one a bit but kept going, I almost got close but my gloves were real wet and they slipped when I went to pump as I hadn’t fired it before and wasn’t used to it, ugh. It seemed a little quieter today, and hardly anything came in to look for most of the morning. I turned a couple behind me at least I think I did, but I did not notice them until they got in my peripheral view, and they flared off. I did manage to get one to come close for a few shots but that was it for the morning.

As I was packing up I started to think my calling wasn’t doing anything and it was all my MOJO that was bringing them in. I will have to wait and see and do more experimenting.