Hey all.

I need to grow my equipment list and get better access into the bush. What you would do for this fall while thinking about setting up the seasons to come.

I have
-$1000
-2018 Nissan Rogue - already ripped the plastic skid plate off
-bad credit
-saving $1000 / month for hunting
-270 Tikka t3x lite / 300wm Sauer 80 / 22 Chiappa single shot / Benelli 12ga
-gimpy though interested middle aged wife, disinterested 10yr old and passionate 8yr old
-47yr old 340lb out-of-shape man with a strong heart (starting mountain goat training)
-pursuits (any big game - I've taken 3 bear and a 4pt mulie in past 2 years, recent unsuccessful bison hunt), backcountry multi-day ambitions, meat for the freezer, fowl, upland game, snow
-serious shortage of similarly minded buddies
-3 hunting weeks vacation per year (hunt every other weekend plus 1 long one)

Priority is better bush access (eg. deactivations).
  • Do I buy a 2000'ish taco / tracker / jeep / samurai (lift kit, winch, tires/wheels, short wheel base, chains) as a bush truck and put 3 month insurance on it or as needed during the season - $5000 in and $3000 for upgrades / repairs? Hope to get 4-5 seasons out of it. I can make my family go with me
  • Buy a quad & trailer and tow it with my Rogue - $8000? Upgrade next year or two to a full size truck? I can take my 8yr old or wife on separate trips
  • Trade in the Rogue at a loss on an 'as best as I can do' Taco / GM1500 / Tundra?

Other wishlist items
Backcountry pack capable of hauling gear and meat (~$1000)
Spotting scope (~$2500)
Some kind of camp (wall tent, cots, stove, etc - $5000), travel trailer (~$7500)