With everything going on in Southern BC and all the COVID talk I feel it's time to share an elk hunting story.

It had been a busy September. My wife's cousin and a friend came over from Alberta and I hunter hosted them. We filled a few tags for them and one for my Father in law.

I enjoy hunting with others but as a bowhunter I couldn't wait for a day that I could go for a morning on my own.

There was a spot that was tough to get to. It requires a 4 mile hike in the dark and the wind has to be just right.

The first morning that worked I was running a bit behind. In order to be successful I needed to play the wind and geography just right. I needed to parallel the herd until they turned and then move in to intercept them.

As I hustled through the pre-dawn light, I could hear the bull announcing his presence as he followed his cows towards the dark timber.

The dew was heavy and I was thankful that I had chosen to wear my rain pants. It was cool enough that I knew it was going to freeze briefly as the sun started to rise. I shivered but it wasn't from the cold. It was a shiver of excitement and anticipation of what adventure awaited.

Two miles in and I knew I wasn't going to catch up to intercept this herd. I was frustrated with myself for being late. Stopping for a drink and a snack, I pondered what to do. Should I wait for them to bed and do my best interpretation of the tooth fairy? Should I back out and give it a try another day? Or should I just bow my head, throw up a prayer and go at them and try and call the bull back?

With things to do at work later in the afternoon, I mentally crossed off plan A.

Having already hiked two miles, i decided that I would rather try plan C and do a four mile walk of shame after trying, as opposed to a two mile walk of shame because of lack of effort.

Extra layers were stripped off. Bow strapped to the pack for some serious, ground covering effort and I was off again. I was motivated. With renewed energy I set off to attack the dead fall ahead.

Climbing up on the first tree, i heard a new bull cracked off in response to the herd bulls serenade. Pausing to listen, the herd bulls response was immediate and intense. Things were heating up fast.

That is all for tonight. Will post more tomorrow while I sit in my deer blind