Disclaimer: Unfortunately I’m terrible with pictures so I let my partner take video and pictures, however his SD card shit the bed and all of the scouting pics and video with him are non existent anymore. So there isn’t a tonne of pictures to go with the thread as I’d hoped and you can only write and read about aimlessly pushing bush and devils club so many times. So apologies for all the writing with lack of pictures and I’ll try and be descriptive as I can without dragging on and on.

So bear season 2017 rolls around and comes to a finish and untilthelastbeat (Joel) and I are impatiently awaiting for the LEH results to show their faces to start planning our year. We both were really hoping for our goat draws as they were the best odds and I know the area fairly well. Moose we got drawn last year so little chance. Just forget about Rosie elk or the sheep pipe dreams. Thursday June 15th comes and I look at HBC as I do everyday looking to see a thread saying draws are out and what do you know, draws are out! Now we all know that feeling of anticipation when they come out, it could be the best day of the year in my opinion. I’m trying to log on the the website to check before it gets bombarded and crashes. I get through right away and hit draw results…..something is seriously wrong they’ve made a mistake…Indian Arm what?...uhhhh yeah right....ROSIE DRAW IN MY BACK YARD. Now it’s pretty awesome being born and raised in Squamish and getting to see the herds grow, shed hunt for them and just see them expand into town and beyond so to get this particular Rosie draw was awesome.

Immediately I text pretty much everyone I know whether or not they are a hunter, because they need to know. A couple buddies had this draw 4 years earlier and had some awesome tales on top of the monster that came out of there the year before so planning is set in motion immediately to meet for beers, get some info. Saturday June 17th I wake up and pack up the day gear, load the dog and girlfriend into the truck and head up Indian Arm hoping the snow has cleared at the summit. Two weeks previous it was impassable with anything but a snowmobile when I went for a check for bears. Start hitting the summit everything seems fine and then snow. Shit. Well I’m to pumped to turn around even though were about 20km from where the elk start hanging out. Screw it I’m walking in, the dog needs a walk and I need to start bugling. Finally Emily starts questioning how far we need to go to get into elk….”uhhhh a little ways”. We got to an area about 5km in where I’ve heard of them hanging out but I knew that isn’t where I wanted to be neither then nor on opener so we let the dog run for a bit while I’m pointlessly screaming bugles and cow calling like I’m a moronic herd of elk and start walking back to the truck.