I want one of those NECG peep sights for my Ruger No.1H in .405. My friend also needs one for his No.1 RSI in .30-06. I am contemplating the Lott because it will fit in my BLR Magazine with the 350 grainer. It is practical also because it still allows you to shoot the .458 Win mag. Boughten .458 with 510 softpoints would be a good close quarters cannon for bear with the 350 grainers for long shooting Moose. Both end-up around the same length I guess.

I really liked it when Ruger legitimized-it also in the 77. I don't know how happy you'd be with the .404, as it is always eclipsed by the 416 Rigby which is more practical because Federal makes ammo for-it. Maybe The 416 Remington would be a good choice. And when you get bored with-it, re-chamber to the Rigby since you got all that magazine.

You could also get a heavy barrel in .358 and when that's shot-out. you can have it rebored and re-rifled to the Lott How's that for a compromise. In the-end, I would pick the .338 RUM, burn-out that barrel, set-back one thread and re-bore and re-rifle to .375 RUM, shoot-that-out and then re-bore and re-rifle to .458 for your own.458 RUM. By this time you'll have a nice, handy light rifle that will hammer the living snot outta you, but you'll be so old by that time that you can hand-it down and your kids can put it in the corner and fear-it.