Hi All,

I've been browsing these forums for some time, looking for tips, spots and gear reviews. I love it! Figure its time I jump in and start posting; so here's my first!

The is going to be my first year hunting, and I'd like to get started with some cottontail, since they're a schedule C in the regs.

My question is, what are some legal areas that are known to hold cottontail in this area? In Nanaimo, I've found several cottontail in the Dumont Rd/Biggs Rd field. However, I'm unsure of the shooting regulations there and have contacted the local office for verification. I'll let everyone know when I hear back regarding that.

I went out last night along the Nanaimo Lakes Rd power lines, but couldn't see signs of any. No game trails, no droppings or signs of feeding. Quite a few deer though, for those who are interested. Mostly near the creek, about 2km down the trail (not sure its name).

I'm still searching around, but if anyone has some tips for areas around Nanaimo, Parksville or Qualicum I'd greatly appreciate it. And if you want someone to hunt rabbit with, I'd love to come!

Right now I have a .22 and compound bow. I randomly switch between the two when going out, so a no shooting but bow allowed area would work too.

Thanks everybody! Looking forward to getting more involved in this community!

Cheers.