I headed out by myself this morning. Duckbuster was kind enough to lend me some decoys. I set up in a good looking area I built a bit of a small blind in yesterday afternoon.

I was set up in a saltwater marsh and leaned pretty fast keeping your decoys where they are in a falling tide is not easy. Rookie mistake #1.

And I had a hard time getting birds into my spread. They seemed to be putting down too far out. I had decoys set everywhere I would want a duck to set in and I didn't leave enough open water to pull them in. Rookie mistake #2.

After re-placing some decoys to form a large V shape, they soon started coming in to good shooting range for an amature such as myself.

I had a flock of around 10 Canada Geese came close at one point. The were headed pretty much toward me about 500 yards out and not high at all. I tried to call them closer, all I can say is that my goose call sounded like some sort of sick cow. Rookie mistake #3.
The Geese gained about 300ft of altitude in no time and a howitzer would of been needed to reach them when they passed above me.

Was a long day but a good day. I learned allot. By the end of the day I was able to take 3 drake pintails, a hen pintail, and two drake widgeons.