Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st time out for hare,any suggestions?

Re: 1st time out for hare,any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    man oh man a lot of work to get a little bit of meat...think ill stick to chickens for my small game dinners.
    Way more meat on a hare than a grouse. A pound of meat, on average, from each hare after deboning (which is a meal for my family), and it takes me a lot less time to debone them when I am not explaining it all on a video. Like anything, it just takes practice.

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    that's definitely the secret.
    the one we ate, it was cleaned and cooked shortly after, and on an open campfire.
    it was a dark night, and sitting by the fire eating, I thought it was just not right, the consistency.
    curious, I went into the camper and turned a light on to look at my plate better.
    the meat was far from cook thoroughly.
    into the fire it went.
    I completely understand your aversion to hare now. That'd be enough to put off anyone.

For shooting them, gotta be quick cause ive found they dont like to stick around. I use a .410 or a .22

For skinning them, start at the back legs when its still warm, slit around ankles and the skin peels off kinda like a sock, then just cut the head off. Then just slit it down the middle, pull out the guts and wash it up with some water.

For cooking them, dice up the meat and stew for a bit in mushroom soup, if ya got some grouse toss that in as well and ya got a nice quick meal.

As for duallie's method yea i think that is best left for survival situations.
    If it aint broke......dont fix it

VA7BUB

Hare_assassin has provided some solid advice indeed!

Here is a link to a fancy yet simple Sardinian Hare Stew recipe that I am looking forward to trying out, most likely with a White-Tailed Jackrabbit (they are not present in BC to the best of my knowledge yet are plentiful where I reside these days) in the future -

http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/

This same site contains a significant amount of interesting information concerning recipes/preparation for Hare, Rabbit and many other wild game species additionally.

A note on so called "Rabbit Starvation" -

This is a condition caused by eating nothing but Hare/Rabbit (or, any other ultra lean meat for that matter, not only lagomorphs) under severe duress from environmental factors such as exposure to deep cold and dryness. What essentially happens is that, do to a total lack of carbohydrates and/or fats, the body can not process the protein which eventually results in sickness and even death due to buildup of urea and ammonia in the bloodstream. This condition has always been extremely rare and only occurs when only such meat is consumed for days/weeks or beyond, dependant upon the individual.

In a survival situation - If the animal is boiled and the resulting broth is consumed and if all parts are eaten (bone marrow; eyes, brain, lungs, partially digested vegetable matter from the animal's digestive tract, etc) this malady will not occur. Additionally, by using ingredients beyond Hare meat in recipes along with having access to additional food sources insures this condition will not result. Essentially, this is of no concern to modern Mankind.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-24-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Good job on the video. I will use that in the near future.

i like rabbit but find it a bit dry on its own, so i would typically add 'fatty' bacon when preparing the rabbit to make it juicier. i put in bacon and lots of root vegetables like celery root, carrots and parsley root (shredded), with some spices and just bake it all together.