Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blinds and face netting

Re: Blinds and face netting

Yes that is an old one that is my chocalate in the background hes been gone for couple years but use the same poles with burlap now ,and have 2 new layout blinds and just bought a finisher stand up ,,looks pretty nice havent used it yet ,thanks for the memories..

new lab and The GSP who doesn't like rain much but made 2 good retrieves

The Chocolate in his prime hmm his name was Dutch

I never go waterfowl hunting without a face mask

Beautiful dog Dutch!!

And to the OP, I always wear a face mask too.

Since we are talking concealment... I have Kuiu rain gear but I've totally lost confidence in the Vias camo pattern... rarely do well wearing it whether we are talking deer, elk, bear, moose as it seems to stand out and spook the game. So I have relegated it to just marsh wear in favor to the FirstLite rain gear for all other wet-day hunting.

But today in the field I was head to toe in Vias and even tucked in my layout blind being very still and wearing a face mask and beanie the birds were flaring off. I'm really starting to hate this stuff! Has anyone else experienced this with Vias or is it just me?

Another question... do you guys mix duck decoys in with goose decoys?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I have a mix of stuff but right now use a dedicated waterfowl pattern. Mossy Oak Shadow Blades or RealTree Max-5 are both similar and I have stuff in both. My rain jacket is First Lite in their Fusion pattern that I only bring out when I really need it. I try to be head to toe covered including gloves.

I can't say what makes a difference. In the same day I've had some birds flare and same species make a beeline to my spot without a care. Other times I am standing out in the open gathering decoys and they are circling me - it certainly is bewildering. I just try to cut down on the obvious stuff: stay still, stay down, have the dekes out, have movement. Go out in the right conditions: low visibility, some bad weather, high tide, wind.

And to throw in another variable: individual birds must gain some experience. They see mojos, they get shot at in certain spots, they have narrow escapes, they see their buddies die. Their instincts are bolstered by memory.

These days I pack a bundle of bamboo sticks, burlap and some screening material so that I can at least move a bit. Maybe what I do is cutting down on being noticed by casual birds. Maybe I am only getting the dumb ones!
    Last edited by silveragent; 12-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.

I have learned from the Prairies that you cannot have any shadowing in your layout blind they must not have an"edge" that being said I used to wear a blue jacket pre camo affordability days and seemed to be ok.Faces are also a giveaway ducks have superb eyesight and can spot any movement easily ,so might not just be the camo...

speaking of face netting, I picked up someone's yesterday at Brunswick. If you left yours on River Rd. well it looks like it's been run over a bunch of times. I may be able to clean it up

I don't wear camo jacket. Just wear a plain old brown hoodie and black tractor logo trucker cap. Only camo is my waders.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."