Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preserving Grouse Wings

Re: Preserving Grouse Wings

[QUOTE=duallie;1392555]I would just do the refreeze idea.
    or take the feathers off and glue 'em to something less deady.[/QUOTE]

am I missing something I have been using bird wings for well over 50 and never found the need to remove feathers from wings not sure why you would

To answer your question, freeze them, Take a couple out at a time and store them in freezer bags you can add a bit of training sent every now and then they last "for ever". you don't need to "take the feathers off and attatch them to" anything, just zap strap a couple of whole wings to a bumper and your good to go, again store in freezer bag with at appropriate scent.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 10-07-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    am I missing something I have been using bird wings for well over 50 and never found the need to remove feathers from wings not sure why you would

To answer your question, freeze them, Take a couple out at a time and store them in freezer bags you can add a bit of training sent every now and then they last "for ever". you don't need to "take the feathers off and attatch them to" anything, just zap strap a couple of whole wings to a bumper and your good to go, again store in freezer bag with at appropriate scent.
    Thanks Foxton, I froze them in a ziploc bag.
    I am concerned that they would want to eat the bird, rather than retrieve.
    They were very interested when I pulled the grouse out of the cooler to clean it.
    We shall see.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

If they will eat a wing they will eat a bird, now is the time to break any hard mouth or munching, better a wing than a bird in the field. To be honest I have only had 1 dog ever try to eat anything, my current spaniel, when I transitioned him from wings/ bumpers made a beautiful retrieve, stopped 10 feet from me, hupped and proceded to munch the pigeon. I reacted quickly took the bird from him, gave him a severe scolding and then placed the bird back in his mouth with the fetch hold command. He has never damaged another bird, Foxton is spot on with his recomendation but be on guard and prepaired to act right away if a problem developes.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;1392793]
    Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    I would just do the refreeze idea.
    or take the feathers off and glue 'em to something less deady.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean that it "should" be done.
    just a solution to being concerned about the old, dead wings.
    the freezing and refreezing way is definitely the easiest method.

Cut off the last section of the wing, there is less meat there and just hang them to dry out.

Trouble with dried wings is they loose feathers easily and don't retain much natural scent freezing is still the best solution IMO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.