Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison hunting and denial of heart attack

Bison hunting and denial of heart attack

This is a story of a classic denial of heart attack.

My hunting partner, at 76, finally got his Bison LEH tag. After much preparations, we meet up in Merrit and starts to head North.

By time we reach Prince George, my hunting partner is very uncomfortable and claim that his chest pains are from his otherwise cured pneumonia he had earlier this year. I suggest that we go to the emergency in Prince George before moving on with the Bison hunt. My hunting partner, in an act of serious denial of an heart attack in progress, insist we drive on to Chetwyn, "where he will have a nice hot bath and a shower that will cure this persistent pain in his chest".

Next morning in Chetwyn, my hunting partner ask me to turn down the heat, since he is sweating a lot, and I tell him we have no heat on. I then go out and find out where the Chetwyn hospital is, and back in the hotel room, I tell my hunting partner "that he need to see a doctor in order to get prescriptions for antibiotics for his lung infection, before we move on with the Bison hunt", and he then finally agrees to see a doctor, in Fort St. John, if he still has this nagging pain in the chest. I the convince my hunting partner, in order to save time and get a prescription for antibiothics "for his lung infection", it is better to see a doctor before we leave Chetwyn, and then leave for the hospital.

After the doctor tell me about my hunting partners serious heart attack, where he was "booked" and immediately listed in critical condition, I called up his wife, and told her the bad news.

Three ours later, my hunting partner is by an Air Ambulance, airlifted to Vancouver General Hospital.

Both the doctor and nurses at Chetwyn Hospital told me "that I saved my friends life by bringing to the hospital, and I could not have brought him in much later, and he would never have made it a live to Fort St. John".

My hunting partner is under the circumstances, doing fine at Vancouver General Hospital, but still undergoing test because, due to denial of his heart attack, he waited to long to get help, and might have caused further damage to his heart ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bison hunting and denial of heart attack

wow. close call. Hope he makes a full recovery
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Wishing him all the best. Good thing you were able to bring him to a doctor and recognized the symptoms.
    It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and proven one.

Good on you for making him go to the hospital-hopefully it all turns out well.

Good on you. It is common knowledge that men tend to ignore the signs of a heart attack. When in doubt seek help it does not make you less of a man to dial 911 or go to the hospital. Hope he is going to be ok.

Snowhunter - Good LUCK to your friend - i Hope he gets Well soon ! I denied having a Heart attack for 4 days and i am VERY FORTUNATE to be alive and as WELL as i am now - left main artery in my heart was 98 % PLUGGED up ! Had 1 stint placed in it and ALL is GOOD for the last 5 years ! Doctors all said I am Very Lucky to be Alive ! SO Guys - don't think it can't happen to you and get MEDICAL help as soon as possible to save your LIFE and also to reduce further heart damage also ! RJ

All the best to your friend and good on you for seeking medical attention.

Good decision on your part. I hope your buddy recovers with no problems.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Good for you! But dont forget that Real Men deny these things. I did the same to the point where I could barely breathe or walk. The end result was an abulance ride across the Lions Gate Bridge to the cardiac intervention centre at St. Paul's Hospital where they rushed me in for an angiogram and determined, fortunately, that despite me having all the attributes of a major heart attack, including ECG patterns, I instead had a viral infection in my heart (since cured). Still, I did the manly thing and ignored everything as long as possible! Good luck to your friend!

p.s. I hope he can laugh about the fate of his bison LEH!

wishing you both the best and speedy recovery
    member of the Kingfisher rod and gun club.