Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road permits and logging companies

Road permits and logging companies

Last week a friend of mine was driving the Ravenshead (Region 4-25) and came across a sign on the road saying it was closed to through traffic and a permit was required to proceed. The road is on crown land so it is public land on both sides of the area being logged.
    My question: Can a logging company close a road on crown land while they work? On this particular day the operation was operating on the main road so passing was not an option because of safety but if they are not operating on the weekends can you still pass?

Your help is appreciated.

GW

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Road permits and logging companies

The sign only applies to commercial traffic

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Legally - they can only block access for safety reasons.

Practically - they can block it for any reason and pretty much the authorities will do nothing.

General speaking if the road is not gated and it is not private you are good to go. Forest companies can restrict access if they are the sole industrial user and maintainer of that road and if it does not access property or rec areas. this is rare but not unheard of. some examples are this are woodlot roads (not private land but private timber rights), roads close to towns where there is a threat of environmental damage from 4 wheelers and partiers etc. They usually can't restrict your access (unless there is a safety concern tied to an active worksite) but they can restrict your vehicle access as they incur all the cost of the road building, maintenance and such. if in doubt contact the local MOF office or FrountCounterBC.
    Last edited by junkyard_g; 10-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

yes they can, they can do as they please.
    FSR's are not public roads, they are forestry roads that they allow us to use.

Fsr are public roads

We've gone to court over this during the Carmanah fight. The public has the right to use FSR and crown land. The logging company can and should shut down the road for legitimate safety reasons. Hauling is not one of them but falling, road const, blasting, skidding, yarding, loading are legit reasons. If the road is gated or blocked with no activity behind it the MoF should and likely will require it be opened.

It also depends who holds the road use permit. Typically that will be the forest company, giving them some control over use as well as responsibility for maintenance at their cost. find out if there is a road use permit on the road and who holds it. Then consider getting in touch with them.

That is commonly believed bit completely false duallie. The only forest roads in bc which can be legally blocked to the public arethe ones owned by timber west. This is because they own the land. All other logging roads access crown land, which is public.

They can and do require road use agreements with industrial users, in order to make sure everyone pays their fair share of the maintenance, but they have no authority over private citizens who are using it to access public land. It is part of the cost of the privelege of being allowed to make roads in BC
    Last edited by Aheny; 10-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.

I used to work at a research forest which was crown land, we had the roads gated but we could not stop people from walking around the gate or bicycling around the woodlot (was close to town). In my earlier post i wasn't refering to FSR's as much as single use access roads. an example would be radio controlled mine access roads which are often gated.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?