Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the moose rut kicked in , reg 5

Has the moose rut kicked in , reg 5

Just wondering if the moose have started rutting , were leaving for 5-1 tomorrow and I'm hoping it has ???
    yep that's what I said

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Has the moose rut kicked in , reg 5

A friend of mine just cut his tag on Sunday on a monster! He'd been hunting pretty hard for 10 days and it was going to be his last day out. He was able to call it in so I am assuming they are in full swing, however, most people I've talked to in the area aren't seeing many bulls. I've been out a lot and haven't seen one moose so you can expect to work for it. Good hunting!

i just came back from 6-08 and most fresh tracks i seen were paired up,did a lot of calling and nothing was coming to the call,last day got the bull to come out from the thick shit after about 15 min of working him,they were paired up,he did not stink to much so my guess is they are just starting,it was still prety warm during the day,leaves are just starting to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mikek blacktail View Post
    Just wondering if the moose have started rutting , were leaving for 5-1 tomorrow and I'm hoping it has ???
    In most areas it's in full swing. Apparently in 5-1 the moose have been circulating a memo which favours delaying the rut for up to a month. Best of luck on your hunt anyway.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

I think it is later than usual this year, we normally hear them talking pretty good by Sept 24 but not much this year , we did manage to get two bulls but it was not easy, in fact we saw more Grizzly,s than moose in our area of 5-2, more than I have ever seen before including one sow with 3 cubs and one huge boar..I would guess that by now the moose are more active.

Practice your cow calling boy. Make it long and pleading for the big stick. Do it on 2 to 4 minute intervals in early morning and late afternoon. Do it for about 20 minutes max and wait about 10 minutes afterward. No response, move on.
    Quietly return in the morning to the last spot that you called in the evening before and let out a call and then listen. You may not get a bull grunting back, but you might hear a stick or branch crack as he moves. Ya never know, he could be waiting.
    I try to make the repetative cow calls more or less in one direction. I will throw in a bull grunt a few minutes after I have made the cow call sequence.
    Good luck and good hunting.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Good to know that is starting or already started. Heading up there on Thursday for my first moose hunt. Should be a good experience no matter the outcome. Maybe get a few wolves in to help out the population as well.

I forgot to mention that 1. have patience and 2. no talking, limited conversation in whispers only. Those ears on a moose are like dishes listening for signals from outer space.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thanks guys my calling has worked many time for me before, guess I sound convincing . I usally have my best luck around he 8th. I'm calling for my daughter to shoot its her draw
    yep that's what I said

September 28th most cows are in full estrus, the peak of rut.
    The average for BC moose peak breeding day is September 28th.
    They started pre rut two weeks b4 the 28th, sept 14.
    They were talking weeks ago. Already starting to drop off weakened hormones.
    Some can come to a call still but the desire is waning. Cows bred pritty well.