Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: help with aggressive bitches

Re: help with aggressive bitches

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I need some advice.

I have two bloodhound/lab sisters. Same litter, about 3.5 years old. Wonderful, gentle, and friendly family dogs but I've been having increasing problems when they encounter other dogs when we are out hiking.

Riley is the smaller, about 65 lbs. She was the runt of the litter. Dallas is about 75 lbs. Since they were puppies I've spent quite a bit of time trying to train them but, to be honest, it hasn't resulted in obedient dogs. I'm not sure if they are headstrong hounds or if the pack instinct is too strong but I've never been able to reach a comfortable level of strict obedience. They will come when I call and sit when I say sit, but if they get on the scent of something all bets are off.

Like any healthy, happy dog they love to run off leash and we try to get them out for an hour every day.

About a year ago Riley started to feel the need to see if she could dominate every dog from slightly bigger to much smaller. No blood, just a lot of snarling and chomping around the neck. Dog owners don't take kindly to their dog being bullied and I quickly got tired of apologizing for her behaviour and put a muzzle on. I hated watching her suffer with a muzzle but for a few months she quit going after other dogs and all was good.

Then, she started going after other dogs even with her muzzle. Bad, but at least people were pretty decent because they felt I was doing what I could to make sure nobody got hurt and it was only happening intermittently.

Now, Dallas has joined the bully gang and she is now either first to attack or second. Still no blood or fur, but lots of awful growling and snapping. Other dog owners are rightfully pissed and I've gotten to the point where I loathe taking them out.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this type of aggression fixable or am I going to have to keep them on leash? Walk them separately? Maybe, but that will take a big chunk of time every day.

I figure a muzzle for Dallas is the next step but two dogs with muzzles can still terrorize other dogs and I really don't enjoy being that guy with the bitchy bitches.

Any advice appreciated.

Shock collars - use them the right way and your issues should disappear....after a few zaps Riley should see that she can't win - Dallas will quickly resume her good nature.
    Last edited by Kudu; 09-30-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Sure, some people find eating animals unethical too.
    Do we care?
    No.
    I would speak for yourself and not generalize to everyone else on this site regarding opinions. There are plenty of people that consider shock collars unethical especially regarding the way and situations they are used in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackem View Post
    Ok shock collars work in some situations, but aggression is tricky. In the dog aggressive dogs I have seen, if you were to deliver a shock at the moment of elevated aggression, it only makes them amp up further...depends on the dogs temperament.

American Bulldogs, and other more bold breeds don't do well with e collars in this situation. Labs and other "soft" tempered dogs do well generally.

He is being responsible. His dogs are leashed and muzzled. He is seeking help on training and controlling his dogs. No need for the knives to come out here boys. Of course anyone would defend their dog against others, but no need to make anyone feel bad here.

Yah, American bulldogs are not for everyone. One "dude" in my neigbourhood paid $2500 for a bully from a pet store and the dog grew to be 110 pounds of strong will and muscle living in the front yard. Kids taunted the dog through the fence and the dog ended up not liking kids any more.
    Long story short, the dog was surrendered to a shelter.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsford View Post
    I would speak for yourself and not generalize to everyone else on this site regarding opinions. There are plenty of people that consider shock collars unethical especially regarding the way and situations they are used in.
    It's a figure of speech.
    1. Human over population

My first suggestion / comment is that the OP needs professional help with the dogs, internet "advice" likely isn't going to provide the necessary help. If you love your dogs and truly want to change their behavious, spend the money and get it dealt with.
    Shock collars might be part of the solution but again, don't rely on internet advice - get a trainer familiar with their use. We had a great trainer in to help us with our "reactive" dogs and she helped us a lot. When the subject of E Collars came up she said she was not an expert in their use thus would not comment other than to suggest they might help and we should consult an expert. Hard to find a dog trainer that doesn't claim to be an expert in everything, was refreshing to hear it from her.
    We have used collars that have "beeps" and a citronella spray and they have worked quite well in most circumstances. Some consider them more "humane". Just putting the collars on the dogs tends to reduce undesirable behaviour by quite a bit. Our male almost caught his first salmon yesterday as we walked along a river full of spawners. Took the spray to get him away.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    My first suggestion / comment is that the OP needs professional help with the dogs, internet "advice" likely isn't going to provide the necessary help. If you love your dogs and truly want to change their behavious, spend the money and get it dealt with.
    Shock collars might be part of the solution but again, don't rely on internet advice - get a trainer familiar with their use. We had a great trainer in to help us with our "reactive" dogs and she helped us a lot. When the subject of E Collars came up she said she was not an expert in their use thus would not comment other than to suggest they might help and we should consult an expert. Hard to find a dog trainer that doesn't claim to be an expert in everything, was refreshing to hear it from her.
    We have used collars that have "beeps" and a citronella spray and they have worked quite well in most circumstances. Some consider them more "humane". Just putting the collars on the dogs tends to reduce undesirable behaviour by quite a bit. Our male almost caught his first salmon yesterday as we walked along a river full of spawners. Took the spray to get him away.
    Was that you down in Yarrow with the white thingamasomething dog chasing fish around?
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Was that you down in Yarrow with the white thingamasomething dog chasing fish around?
    No, it was the Coq with a reddish pure bred, highly intelligent, Real Canadian Breed chasing one pink.
    After a number of trips to the river for walks I guess a flopping fish eventually was just too much for him to resist.
    Funny, with all the dead ones all over the place and easy, albeit yucky, pickings, he chooses a live one.
    Any way, no harm done as I stopped him quickly. Still, being the ethical person that I am, I felt bad that my dog, and vicariously his owner, were breaking the law.

Duck Toller?
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

If you have the $ find a trainer. Good on ya for trying to do the right thing. Lot of irresponsible dog owners out there and a lot of useless dogs.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

The title caught my attention and I completely gapped, however my ex should read this thread and I will forward it to her.
    It might help her in her next relationship.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny