Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Badger

Re: 2012 Badger

Things are very different for these Badgers in Alberta than BC. In British Columbia Badgers are a protected species and rightfully so. It appears to be mostly a habitat loss scenario (lack of grassland) according to the reports I have read on their status in British Columbia.
    They are not present in huntable numbers in BC yet there is a recovery plan for them in effect. It is a good idea to report any Badger sightings. A quick internet search will show you plenty of information as well as who to contact when you see Badger in British Columbia.

Quite a parllel between Badgers and Caribou in my mind. Caribou in huntable numbers in BC, Not in Alberta. Plenty of Badgers in Alberta, not so many as per BC numbers. In both cases it is caused by loss of habitat. I am not suggesting that Badger are a major game species anywhere, simply noting the reduction in their numbers having the same root cause and such.

This is a fantastic Badger mount! First time I can remember ever seeing a Taxidermy Badger. Amazing!

Unfortunate about the multi-shot requirements to harvest this one though. Hunting is very unpredictable and anything can happen (as you well know). I am sure you did your best to make good in a single shot Sir and glad you were not mauled.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 09-15-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    The only time I ever saw them in abundance was when I spent a year in Medicine Hat. Definitely a cool creature.
    I am just outside of The Hat

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    This is a fantastic Badger mount! First time I can remember ever seeing a Taxidermy Badger. Amazing!

Unfortunate about the multi-shot requirements to harvest this one though. Hunting is very unpredictable and anything can happen (as you well know). I am sure you did your best to make good in a single shot Sir and glad you were not mauled.
    thanks
    and ya the first to were body shots in the chest. The third was at the base of the neck. Not too much damage and the taxi had no problem stitching the holes
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Out of the ordinary for us but that is one very cool mount! The skull once cleaned up would be an awesome addition to any collection!
    Thanks for sharing!

Question Re: 2012 Badger

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    I am just outside of The Hat...
    Schuler area by chance?
    Happen to know the Beckers?

Nice Badger!
    My Buddy Rick Becker had one done up tagging a big Sage Grouse from down your way when he was still with us.
    Make Very Cool Mounts!

Wondering...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Schuler area by chance?
    Happen to know the Beckers?

Nice Badger!
    My Buddy Rick Becker had one done up tagging a big Sage Grouse from down your way when he was still with us.
    Make Very Cool Mounts!

Wondering...
    Nog
    Live in Redcliff
    This bad boy came from out Eagle Butte Road area just south of the Park on a private tract of land.
    I have seen lots out the Schuler way up HWY 41 too
    The reason they do so well around here is the population of gophers

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Thumbs up Re: 2012 Badger

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    Live in Redcliff...
    Know that town and area. Have a good Buddy (MAJOR Hunter) who's Lady lives there, so he is about frequently.

The reason they do so well around here is the population of gophers
    Saw quite a few badgers down that way and shot a LOT of gophers on Buddy's ranches. Also pulls in a fair number of rattlesnakes.

Will be back to that area when I draw the next Alberta mule deer tag. Will shoot you a pm when I do so...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

yup for sure
    shoot me a line if'n you are out this way