Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Sad Day

Re: A Sad Day

Thats real hard to read. Congrats on bringing up a solid dog and all your time spent in the field working and doing what you both loved. They have there own spot in our hearts and cant be compared too against anything else. It sounds like Bill had many friends . Keep your head up and like others have said, remember the good times. It gets better... and may you soon be picking up some little poops in the yard when your ready.

Think about the good times we've all had in the field together with our dogs. They are a huge part of why we enjoy waterfowl hunting so much, watching the excitement in the dogs eyes, and it makes finding cripples a hell of a lot easier then trying to run them down ourselves . They make up a big part of our lives and it hurts like hell when they leave us.

It's a hard go, I went from having 3 dogs 5 years ago now down to only one left that turned 6 in Sept. I do not plan on getting a second dog at this point as it wouldn't be fair to Marshall as I would be spending to much time training up the pup. I'll wait till Marshall is ready to retire from hunting before recruiting his replacement.

Don't rush into getting another dog until you're ready for one. You soon forget how much work a puppie can be and it's a lot of sleepless nights for the first few months taking them out for a pee 3-6 times throughout the night. When you feel it's right you'll know it, you may be able to find a dog that looks like bill but their personalities are all different.

It definitely puts a damper on your hunting season, even when Marshall had cut his paw or had limp tail a few seasons back, it just didn't feel right hunting without him.

Sorry for your loss Jamie, it takes a while but the pain eases off and all that remains is the memories.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Sad news. Sucks. Sorry to hear.

Marc - It is kinda funny that you should mention about another dog. 3 months ago we took on a 1 yr old golden pup from a friend who could no longer keep him. He actually is helping us all quite a lot while we get through this. Although he has spent the last 2 1/2 days looking around the house and yard for Bill. He is nowhere near ready to hunt but he is coming along with the obedience, only time will tell how he works out.

Tony - Thanks for the warm wishes, you are right, he was a kind soul and any dog will have a lot to live up too.

Kyle - Again thanks for the condolences I had actually completely forgotten about that goose hunt on the the heritage days, remembering those times brings a smile to us all.

Anyone I missed again thank you all for taking the time to read this post and respond, all who new Bill enjoyed his company and all who hunted with him had fun and got to smile at his quirky nature.

Have a great season everyone and may your dogs run down every cripple and make every blind retrieve you send them on, but most importantly just enjoy every moment and don't put things you want to do with them off 'til tomorrow as we found out, you never know when tomorrow won't be there.
    My dinner ate my vegetables for me !

Jamie

One of the worst things is losing your hunting partner. It's always such a shock to the system as well as a major time check...you all of a sudden say "soooo....where did the last 10+ years go??" Remember all the times where he made you proud, even if there was nobody watching...and now you can chuckle about all the times he frustrated you so bad you could've rung his neck! (Anybody reading this saying "my dog's always perfect" is full of crap and you know it!). All the best with your next partner and the fun of teaching him all over again!

PS - One of my fave quotes: "It's no coincidence man's best friend can't talk."

Very sorry to hear of your loss. There's a special bond with your hunting dog that leaves a hole when they pass on. My condolances.

RiP Bill.What can I say except that I know that we will all meet our friends again...at the Rainbow Bridge.My sincerest condolences....Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Sorry for your loss.

sorry for your loss, it's hard to lose a good friend like that.

Damn...this story really hit me in the gut.
    I am very sorry to hear you lost such a great friend.
    My condolences to you and your family.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc