Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handcrafted brant decoys

Re: Handcrafted brant decoys

Broke my power carver yesterday so went to lee valley today for part. Lady asked what I was carving so I showed her a pic. She asked if I was making them for gifts , I said no for hunting birds. She said to lure innocent birds in to shoot. I said yes because the bread crumbs kept sinking

Oh how I can picture you doing that, and with a straight face to boot. Those be tasty birds, not innocent no more!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

very wonderful or what..geez..just great looking birds..congrats

your work is excellent . nice style and strong lines . the preening brant looks very life like . I would shoot over your set all day long !
    What power carver do you use , mine is a foredom tool with a foot treadle . Best tool ever !. I am a stone carver and I can totally appreciate dedication to creating these working , works of art .
    Well done
    Cliff
    venture forth , and find more fun !

foredom as you use,what kind of stone do you carve?you have my curiosity going.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Broke my power carver yesterday so went to lee valley today for part. Lady asked what I was carving so I showed her a pic. She asked if I was making them for gifts , I said no for hunting birds. She said to lure innocent birds in to shoot. I said yes because the bread crumbs kept sinking
    The decoys look great!! I hope you don't throw down popcorn to find your way back to the beach too.

Hello , I use a variety of stone , most of it is local finds , there is a area in the nahatlatch river that has deposits of chlorite , it is jet black and carves very well . serpintine in shades of green to mottled brown near the caroline mines rd , off the coquihalla just to name a few . there is a importer in Vancouver that sells as well called neolithic stone . there is a website . check it out .

this octopus was finished last year and the stone is a type called pyrophyllite and this carving was done entirely with my fordom and carbide bits . the eyes are quartz .
    keep up your great work
    Cliff

That is a beautiful carving never thought of carving a rock before. Lol

Thanks , you could make a set of permanent confidence decs out of the black chlorite that you could haul into the marsh and then leave them there forever , probably would weigh 50 to 60 lbs each , life size .!
    I'm a newer member to this site but if you are interested to attempt stone , u could pm me . it is just a hobby for me , but the finished artwork brings a very good return . there is a lapidary club out on fern crescent rd ,going up to allouette lake . many talented carvers there on friday nites .
    Cliff

Thats it pn stone robos that work on atomic power ,no need for batteries or armour all to shine em up leave them there all season....