Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife sheath

Re: Knife sheath

The leather in my sheaths I make are soaked in neetsfoot oil and will tend to repel the moisture inside and out[/QUOTE]

Does the oil tend to make the leather soft? I was scared to use it because I wanted the sheath as rigid as possible, like store bought. Hence mine are unoiled, just wax rubbed.

the leather I use is around 8 ounce so it is good and stiff being around 1/8" thick
    It softens very slightly but still remains quite stiff
    I quess "soaked" was the wrong word,I should use "treated"
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Try taking it to a shoemaker's store. I knew a guy in Port Alberni who was a boot and shoe repair man, and he was an avid hunter. He could make pretty much anything out of leather, and the quality was second to none.

Having lost a good knife or two from having them come out of the sheath while in thick brush, the best place for your knife is in your daypack or fanny pack. Even a sheath with a solid snap can open and lose the knife. That being said , my leatherman has been on my hip for about 3 years every day and has never come out of its sheath. The difference is that the leatherman is completely inside the sheath whereas almost half of the knife is exposed to catch on things.
    Just my .02 cents

Gord