Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hassled hunting?

Re: Hassled hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Strait'n'flat'n'long
    A persons demeaner or actions are what would get me spider sense tingling, not the cannon he packs.

I agree 100%. i guess i said my point wrong. if one's demeaner was a bit strange, and they were carrying a big firearm, i'd definitely be suspicious. it is understandable that not everybody can afford a varmint rig, so use their big gun instead.

as mentioned, poaching is an issue. everybody needs to be aware of this and keep their eyes and ears open. if that means somebody being a bit overly suspicious, i don't see a problem and actually welcome it. that is different from some PETA wannabe being a total jerk and harrassing somebody just because they are hunting

I'd rather someone take down my license plate # if they had a concern rather than the norm of not getting involved or ignoring an offence. I'd gladly answer a question or two rather than hear some dirtbag got away slaughtering a group of moose because no one wanted to get involed.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them
    I think that it is sensless conclusions like this that take up so much of our too few and too far between game wardens time. I think that people should lay off on jumping to conclusions and look more at facts or actual evidence.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

Yes its happened to me. Mostly on trails or the edges of lakes or cutblocks.

I always try to be polite and answer their questions. I find , by far, most people are polite to someone packing a rifle or shotgun.

I explain that they are correct, Deer season is over and that I'm either hunting coyotes, bobcats, or squirrels.

One tactic I use is to remind them that they are in Bear and Cougar territory, and that with the recent amount of attacks against humans, if they stop to think about it, wouldn't they perhaps want a hunter in the bush able to defend them and shoot off a bear ?

If they get a little insulting or cheeky, I'll remind them that I am particpating in a licened activity authorized by Canadian Law, and that
    if they choose to continue to harrass or question me , I may decide to call my lawyer and file a lawsuit for interfering with my constitutional rights, which includes life and liberty. This doesn't happen very often but it sure shuts them up.

I might also remind them that their Europen ancestors didn't mind our Native brothers hunting deer in this land 150 years ago when they came here !

But above all, its important, I beleive, to be polite and create a good impression. I'll also inform them that North America has over 60 million deer and that 300 people a year are killed in deer vehicle collisions. A little education goes along way to thwart ignorance.

But you know what ? You'll never please them all 100%. The good book says there are some who will die and go to heaven and still bitch that the grass isn't green enough. !

most people are polite to someone packing a rifle or shotgun.
    Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact you are packing a loaded weapon, a big knife on your hip and a hungry look in your eye, would it?

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Ya I suppose you got a point.

But some people don't care and, by the sounds of other members experiences, some so called environmentalists aren't afraid to yell and argue with someone holding a 7mm magnum.

They know all too well you are responsible and won't harm them. They just want to push your buttons.

Never been accused of poaching, but Hermit and I got stopped out near the Carmanah by a protest group called "Women in the Woods". They were right in our faces even though we were armed! Brave? Stupid? Who knows.

They had a road block up and we came flyin around a corner doing 70kph on a nice flat logging road heading out to our bear hunting area. Had to lock up the binders to avoid crashing through their roadblock.

Quote Originally Posted by micheallw View Post
    i hunted bowen island a couple of years ago and was followed into the bush by a man and his dog. They just followed me for a couple of hours untill i got pissed off and left. Long way to go and expensive for that to happen.
    Bowen Island must have a fair few 'eco-nuts' on it I'd imagine

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by Franko Manini View Post
    Never been accused of poaching, but Hermit and I got stopped out near the Carmanah by a protest group called "Women in the Woods". They were right in our faces even though we were armed! Brave? Stupid? Who knows.

They had a road block up and we came flyin around a corner doing 70kph on a nice flat logging road heading out to our bear hunting area. Had to lock up the binders to avoid crashing through their roadblock.
    There are laws against this "Interfereing with a legal hunt" call RCMP press charges.

Pg 18 of the Regs
    It Is unlawful to:

18. interfere with or obstruct a person licenced or permitted to hunt... and is lawfully doing so.
    Last edited by happygilmore; 02-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko Manini View Post

Franko, I think there are laws against interfering with a legal hunt. Maybe the cops might have been of some use to you?

Wolfman
    "didn't want the cabin lookin' like it was built by a boyscout with a dull hatchet."

- Dick Proenneke