Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hassled hunting?

Unhappy Hassled hunting?

Have any of you ever been hassled and accused of poaching deer, when you were out after yotes, when deer season was closed and they knew it? I have and didn't like it. So how is a guy supposed to prove he's after coyotes and NOT deer?
    Last edited by Chuck; 01-21-2007 at 12:13 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hassled hunting?

I thought there were laws against hastling hunters?? At the very least I'd tell them to call a CO and I'll explain what I'm doing to them and they should have a nice day.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I've been asked what I've been doing, and when i answered "hunting", I was then asked "what are you doing hunting". As far as I'm concerned its none of their business what i'm doing and if they feel that strongly they can report me. If someone asked in a kind of "whats going on" type of manner, then I will williingly share with them what i am doing, but when they get that confrontational kind of attidude cause they atomatically assume that I'm poaching. well thats just kind of ignorant and I try to pay them no mind.

Yes I have been. I will start a new thread on it when I calm down. There is no use to call the COs unless the person does damage to your property. I was told that when they call you a poacher or hassle you directly they are breaking no laws. Only when THEY get physical or interfear with you shooting a animal can the COs help. RCMP were no help either. Im still pissed off about the whole thing. It happened in Oct. while hunting moose.

Never been hasled that way before but heres a couple other situations. Once we just turned our trucklights into a farmers feild at night to see how many deer were out there,(we had no guns camo gear or nothing) some woman stopped in a vehicle and started shouting at us that wecant hunt, she honked the horn to scare the deer. We quickly told her were not hunting, were just having a look! She couldnt stop screaming, you cant hunt here, you cant hunt here! Another time, in chetwynd buddy and i both had our elk and we had our racks strapped onto my snowmobile deck. We were asleep in camp, and first light, some inbred loser from ft. st. john, comes flying into our camp, jumps out of his truck and stares at our racks like hes a CO. I come crawling out of our wall tent and says, what the heck is the prob. here. he proceeds to tell me that my elk is illegal (my #5 points were 2.5 inches long) He says elk tines must be 4 inches long, he writes down lic. plate and says hes phoning it in. Well constructive talk went no-where with this guy, so I ask if you locals are smart enough to read cause i have the regs to prove you wrong! He then got in his truck and stormed off, we never did see a CO.
    Pointless harrassment from ignorant people!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

alot of single diget IQ locals really resent interlopers

Ya I have. For the most part though, the people who come and ask you what you are doing are pretty good. When you explain to them your trying to manage the coyote or predator/prey population they usually haven't asked further questions and stopped any hazing they intended on doing. I hunt with any electronic call for yotes and that usually ends any dicussions when I show them the call.
    Sheep and Shepherds, way too many of one and not enough of the other.....if you're reading this, stop spending too much time on the internet and get into the bush!

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence. Harrassment is one thing, but I don't see a problem with people asking what you are hunting for. There are MANY poachers out there and they will never be caught if the average joe isn't more suspicious and asks a few questions. I don't see the problem. If they ask what you are hunting, telling them you are coyote hunting should end the debate. I mean most people shooting yotes probably aren't using much more than a .243, so you probably aren't hunting moose. but, if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them. i know in the prince george area there is a lot of moose poaching happening, so being suspicious of somebody is never a bad thing in my opinion

just my thoughts

if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them.
    Benthos, a 30.06 is exactly the gun I'd use for coyote because I don't own a .243, so you reporting me wouldn't be any different than the idiots previously mentioned. I hope you give that another thought. Besides if anyone wants to give me a .243 that moose would just as dead as if I shot it with my 30.06. Unless that moose is laying in my truck or at my feet, I would hope that the people here at least would take me for my word. A persons demeaner or actions are what would get me spider sense tingling, not the cannon he packs. Just my two cents and nothing personal Benthos

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

i hunted bowen island a couple of years ago and was followed into the bush by a man and his dog. They just followed me for a couple of hours untill i got pissed off and left. Long way to go and expensive for that to happen.