Thread: 16 g side by side

16 g side by side

Looking for any thoughts on the 16g. I just got a english style side by side with extractors. Needs some refinishing but in good shape. I am hoping to use it this fall on upland birds.
    Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 16 g side by side

Shells aren't as common as 12 and 20, but just stock up on them when you find them. Sometimes this might work to your benefit, actually. If there is an ammo shortage, the 12 and 20 will go out of stock before the 16.

For upland birds, put some 6 or 7.5 in it and have fun. Good luck!

Be very judicious about the "refinishing" that you do to an old English style gun.
    You don't want it to look like an "old tart".

Thank you all the input. I will be taking the shotgun to David Jennings for the blueing and I will be refinishing the stock this winter. Looking forword to using it this year hopfuly on a few birds with my new Lab.

would like to see many field pics of this old gun and this new lab surrounded by your bag of birds. Good luck !!

16s are great for upland as said pay attention to detail when redoing the stock, no modern crap, the old girl deserves hand rubbed oil finish have fun.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.