Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mentoring?

Mentoring?

Hi All!

I just got my hunting license, and other than my CORE course, am a total greenhorn. I was curious if anyone was willing to do some mentoring to show me the ropes on how to hunt? If it moves and is legal, I'm interested in hunting it. I live in Abbotsford BC.

Edited to add more detail:

This year I'll likely be buying the minimum gear for me. I do not own a quad or truck. I figure it's wise that I should go hunting with someone else before I start sinking $$ into the hobby just to make sure if it's something I will enjoy. I'm in decent shape, (5'7" and weigh 160lb). I'm 29 & lift weights, but should probably start doing more cardio.
    Last edited by Tytalus; 08-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mentoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Tytalus View Post
    Hi All!

I just got my hunting license, and other than my CORE course, am a total greenhorn. I was curious if anyone was willing to do some mentoring to show me the ropes on how to hunt? If it moves and is legal, I'm interested in hunting it. I live in Abbotsford BC.
    You might want to attend the BC Wildlife Federation's New Hunter Bootcamp.

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    You might want to attend the BC Wildlife Federation's New Hunter Bootcamp.

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I can't make that, prior commitments.

While you're waiting for someone to take you out, I'd read up on the species you're interested in hunting and then just get out there into the woods and keep your eyes open. You might not see anything the first handful of times you're out there but if you keep your wits about you you'll learn a ton just by observing your surroundings. I'm so appreciative of the guys who have taken me out and passed on their knowledge but its so exciting to see something and being able to connect the dots to a particular animals behaviour.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

There is a "Hunting Buddies" thread in here somewhere where you can give more information about yourself (age, fitness level, areas you'd like to hunt, resources that you have...) so that any prospective mentors know what they are facing if they reply.

Do u bow hunt ? And willing to come to the island.

Welcome and congrats, hope you have a successful first year!

how old are you and how much meat can you carry.?what game are you most interested in pursuing?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Welcome to HBC , congrats on passing your core,Lots of helpful and very knowledgable people on here.
    Good luck this season
    WF
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 08-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    how old are you and how much meat can you carry.?what game are you most interested in pursuing?
    I'm in decent shape, (5'7" and weigh 160lb). I'm 29 & lift weights, but should probably start doing more cardio. I'm most curious about bear, deer, elk or moose. I'm not exactly sure how much meat I could carry, but I know I've had about 50 to 70 lb backpacks before to move things and done fine. Probably just matters on how much for how long.

This year I'll likely be buying the minimum gear for me. I do not own a quad or truck. I figure it's wise that I should go hunting with someone else before I start sinking $$ into the hobby just to make sure if it's something I will enjoy.