Page 87 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Ourea, I have many bears, both black and grizzly on my cams. They don't touch my cameras. I don't use the black web belt to fasten them. I use bailing wire and most animals now leave the camera alone. I started to think it was the webbing, not the smell on the cam. I thought it was my scent. I only use gloves now. I know the cam intrigues them, but since I moved to bailing wire I'm seeing a lot less disturbance. Not to mention the wire makes them more invisible to human eye.

I hear you saw the image I have of a black wolf with a fawn in it's mouth off one of my cams.
    JT I lag bolt my cams to the tree with a bear proof box so there is no noticeable strap etc. and yet they still attack the cam. I do find that it is mostly the young ones along with the cubs and the more mature one just walk by.

My biggest problem with my cams are elk.....they rub, lick, breath, sniff and basically play havoc with my cams, hence the reason I have finally lag bolted the cam to the tree. Too many times I would show up to find the cam twisted around the tree or pushed to ground.

I am going to try the bailing wire for my cams that don't have boxes as I like that idea. Thanks!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    My biggest problem with my cams are elk.....they rub, lick, breath, sniff and basically play havoc with my cams, hence the reason I have finally lag bolted the cam to the tree. Too many times I would show up to find the cam twisted around the tree or pushed to ground.
    same - elk and moose really like to get their faces 'up in there' .... deer haven't a clue most of the time.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    JT I lag bolt my cams to the tree with a bear proof box so there is no noticeable strap etc. and yet they still attack the cam. I do find that it is mostly the young ones along with the cubs and the more mature one just walk by.

I am going to try the bailing wire for my cams that don't have boxes as I like that idea. Thanks!!

Cheers

SS
    Yeah, the elk for sure love to lick the cams. And the bailing wire seems to hold them in place even when they do push at it with their tongue, as the wire bites into the tree. I really try to keep gloves on, when changing batteries or cards.

Hope you don't mind me sidetracking the thread. I thought it would be closer to the request to post

^^^^^^^lol,what an asssshole....

J_T..... no side tracking whatsoever.
    Thanks for posting up an incredible series of pics
    Information and field observations are always appreciated.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Some think that the key to success, and animal populations, comes down to a guy sitting in an office ...who can change this...tweak that...close this....extend that.....NONSENSE.
    Bio's have a brutal job.
    Wouldn't take on that profession for all the rice in the world.

Don't want this thread to digress into a regulation debate.

Whitetail.....
    Get out there.....
    Buy a cam or two....
    Get ur family and friends involved.
    Kids LOVE checking the SD cards, and seeing what's on them, especially if they have helped in the process.
    words to live by here ........ I've shot a number of WTs over the years .......Dink bucks, a few does, Nothing big ....... Mostly still hunting or sitting waiting on trails and paths they frequent. Living far away from their living areas has not helped my efforts due to time. But I do hear people complaining in various circles, saying WTs are shot out, regs need a change. Mismanagement bla bla bla. This is Not the case. Following this thread is so inspirational to help us all understand this incredible ungulate. My new learning curve has started. With hopefully more time available in the future to dedicate to this species, I hope to learn, and try to adapt my and our hunting strategies on this amazing critter.
    Thanks for the ride Ourea and the sound advise.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    words to live by here ........ I've shot a number of WTs over the years .......Dink bucks, a few does, Nothing big ....... Mostly still hunting or sitting waiting on trails and paths they frequent. Living far away from their living areas has not helped my efforts due to time. But I do hear people complaining in various circles, saying WTs are shot out, regs need a change. Mismanagement bla bla bla. This is Not the case. Following this thread is so inspirational to help us all understand this incredible ungulate. My new learning curve has started. With hopefully more time available in the future to dedicate to this species, I hope to learn, and try to adapt my and our hunting strategies on this amazing critter.
    Thanks for the ride Ourea and the sound advise.
    CT

Thanks for the kind words CT.

And to be clear, the only advice I am giving is to get out there and hunt some whitetail.
    I am not giving advice on "how" to hunt them.
    I merely pass on my observations and people can form their opinions from there.

I think I am speaking for a lot of people when I say they have seen a big "shift" in whitetail behavior since the doe season.
    Again, in most areas some people are confusing wt adaptation with lack of numbers.
    I am sure some have rolled their eyes over my observations.

That's fine.

And that's why I quantify everything especially recruitment.....
    Number of does at each cam location.
    Number of single fawns
    Number of twins
    I have taken considerable time to share this information.
    Cameras don't give opinions, just evidence.

I will be honest, whitetail in heavily hunted areas are a tough nut to crack.
    But having said that, my group is killing multiple bucks every year in just such an area.

I think that relying on changing "regulation" for success is the wrong approach and attitude.
    WT are adapting to the doe season like they do every challenge they face as a species.
    We, as hunters, need to do the same to be consistently successful.

There is a saying in today's business environment........"adapt or die".
    Wt as a species are an example of that successful business model.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Well, the drought for older bucks continues.
    I pulled 6 cams and got 2 spikes and a deuce point despite numerous does.

Looks like someone just cleaned his velvet off

Looks like WT are doing their part to combat the doe season by pumping out a lot of inventory.
    More triplets.

Getting more mature bears than normal this year.

guest Guest

Great Pics again Ourea ! Good to see at least some movement ....... Look at the Smoked Hams on that BRUIN ! ..... Yummy !

Thanks for the Share Ourea.

CT