Page 82 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

My objective this yr is to focus more on a few key areas and deploy more cams in these locations.
    Today I dropped another cam "close" to where I have picked up some pretty solid bucks.
    2 or 3 more will go in once I get some intel from this cam.
    Here's the setup.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

This next bit was a BIG EYE OPENER FOR ME.....

I assumed that this lovely split G2 buck was coming in from left to right (along with several other decent bucks)....that's what the cam intel shows....repeatedly.
    One could then rationalize that their route of travel coming into this spot is just that.
    WRONG!!!!

See the cam in the background?
    (I generally set up 2 cams facing each other at my better sites)
    A bear had a go with that cam and turned it 90 degrees, pointing well to right of the below video's field of view.

The altered cam's new angle is pointed into the pecker pole regen, not at the opposing camera.
    The above buck, sneaks in thru the pecker pole, avoiding the field of view of the cam on video.

(The video and pic are moments apart)

The cam, on video, is focused on the open area where the site is.
    This buck won't expose himself on the way in, so he travels just within the pecker pole where the cams don't pick him up.
    He is not deliberating avoiding the cams, he is avoiding the open area that leads up to it!
    What I thought was a south to north approach was really west to east.
    He just stayed within the thick regen, traveling in cover around the cams, spitting out from the left from the thickest cover.

This new found understanding will greatly effect where I hang more cams and may change blind locations as a result.
    To think a bear's cam chew helped me out.....nuts.

Just another example why one shouldn't jump to conclusions based on a few cam pics.
    Look at ur intel with an open mind.....over time

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Here he is zoomed in a bit.
    Split brows and G2"s.

He is far from a real hammer and wont throw up big numbers.
    Having said that, I would take him over a clean 150 deer 9 out of ten times, all things equal

Good stuff, thanks for the update. Salmon on the mind but deer on the brain!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    About a 130 class buck??

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    About a 130 class buck??
    I think you would be pretty close with that guess.

He has decent length and width, but lacks tine length and only is a 4

Ourea, you most likely have already mentioned your rationale for having two cams pointing at one site. I am assuming you are checking or verifying the functionality of the other cam. Is there other reason for your methodologies? I can hardlyh afford the cams for the sites I have, yet alone doubling up
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Ourea, you most likely have already mentioned your rationale for having two cams pointing at one site. I am assuming you are checking or verifying the functionality of the other cam. Is there other reason for your methodologies? I can hardlyh afford the cams for the sites I have, yet alone doubling up

Yes, most everything I do has a rationale behind it.
    Two cam system has many advantages beyond ensuring that each cam is performing up to snuff.
    Most do not realize that all cams are not created equal!!

For WT, understanding the direction of game movement is a very important key.
    Two cams can certainly help in this regard.
    More eyes the better.

Another thing I like about a 2 cam system (one on pic mode, the other on video) is how it let's me review intel.
    If I pull a bunch of cams in a day there can be over 5000 to 6000 images to review.
    With the 2 cam system, I can quickly zip thru the pic images.
    If I see something of interest, I note the time and date.
    I can then quickly go to the card, from the cam video, and go to that exact time and see the video of the animal or event of interest.
    Simply expedites the review process
    If I tried to go thru all the videos upon getting home it could easily take several hrs. Simply allows me to cut to the chase.

I do run single cams as well, just in lower traffic areas.

Typical busy summer so its been two weeks since my last cam pull.
    Have some pretty special company in town that wanted to help today.

I made a promise of a quick trip and a new pr of Spiderman shoes when we got down off the hill.
    Enthusiasm from the back seat was high on the way up.

Didn't last long however.......

We still managed to get one site checked.
    What a trooper.

First cam was MIA.....ripped off the tree.

Found it 20 yards away.

Usual suspect at fault.