Page 62 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Buggers....

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

You should get the local trapper to hang some wire for those guys. Think about next years fawns.

Smile Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

The two bucks that were hand and foot above the rest evaporated in early December.
    Zero cam evidence since then.
    Weather was far from optimal this late season with the milder temps and low snow levels.

Couple observations of note worth passing on.........
    On the back end of the low pressure that did bring snow I got numerous multiple daytime videos of solid bucks including the 2 big boys. I noticed this on both fronts that passed thru. Had I been sitting those days I would have had my chance at the bucks I was after.
    I will definitely key on these days/situations next season.

As the rut was winding down daylight visits became far more common.
    358mag and Coach were beneficiaries of taking advantage of that window with their end of season bucks.

It appeared the day time movement literally dried up by about the 8th of December.
    Despite having numerous bucks on multiple cams ( one cam had 6 different bucks regularly) they were all 100% nocturnal after the 8th. I am sure a major factor was the milder weather but worth noting none the less.

I am relatively new to "seriously" hunting WT but feel I am starting to dial the program in.
    Killing a WT is not that difficult.
    My guys took 6 bucks in 2 years.
    Me however, I am 0 for 3 seasons.....but I am totally good with that as it definitely wasn't from lack of opportunity.

I have had many a drought on both elk and MD over the years in pursuing some pretty special animals.
    One thing I know from personal experience is all droughts do end
    I look forward to the day when I walk up to a banger WT and lay hands .......it will be a very satisfying feeling knowing the amount of time and effort I have invested in this process.

I hope this thread has, and will continue to, ......motivate, inform and inspire the average hunter in their pursuit of our tremendous BC resource that is the Whitetail Deer.

Cheers

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I have been an inspired whitetail hunter for many years, but your thread,Ourea, has been exciting and educational all the more. I would hope it has also inspired many more new and old hunters. Your time and thoughts are very much appreciated!
    Thank you

Ourea great thread this was the buck I was after now has lost both antlers.

Ourea great thread this was the buck I was after now has lost both antlers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	5614  

tikkavt, out of curiosity did you find your bucks going nocturnal coming down the home stretch of bow season?

Nice buck by the way.

Ourea, I've only had two bucks show in the daytime in the last month and the one I shot on the 16th came in 10 min of legal light left otherwise nocturnal. But last two days had new bucks showing up but still nocturnal.

Ourea, Initially I never thought of it as inspiring, but as I have followed your thread, I find myself "wanting" to get out and pursue the elusive "big whities". So I guess your thread has been inspiring. I have been a mulie guy for years, then I was introduced to elk and just can't seem to shake those beasts from my concious thought, but now that I see the fun that comes with whitetails I am most definitely inspired and you are largely to thank for that. So thank you for the thread, it is fun to follow. Good luck next year.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

It's an awesome thread, thanks Ourea!