Page 190 of 197 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Maybe and maybe not. I've often found great scrapes and rubs that proliferated a specific area and the next year nothing.
    You just need to find where they are scraping /rubbing this year, typically quite close by, particularly as the does are still there....

My man made scrapes are all active and getting busier, lots of smaller bucks hitting them right now, along with some does.

Freshen it up with your own pee, hang a camera and see what happens. Bucks will use the same spots year after year.

I have 5-6 fake scrapes going right now and the big boys will soon be hitting them!! Once they do, they will build a line off that one. Freshen them up with your pee and a couple shots of Tinks 69.

I will be setting up a couple more this weekend. They are a great way to see what is around.

There is a couple youtube videos out there that talk about using scraped year around and this technique of hanging a vine or even a piece of rope as the licking branch.

Good luck!! the fun is about to start!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Would one of you fellas ,mind posting a couple pictures of fake scrapes that you made . I’d like to see them !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post

Freshen it up with your own pee, hang a camera and see what happens. Bucks will use the same spots year after year.

Hopefully the bucks like the smell of coffee, asparagus and vitamin C!!! Great tips. Lots of does in this area but I haven't caught a lot of bucks on cam here. One nice one but not a lot of dinks. A cat and her cub lived here last year so maybe she put the spook on the deer and that's why I didn't and haven't seen too many. Ran into a big buck in late November but he was on a doe and they ran right by me. I'm in a busy area so hard to find spots that don't see other guys but that's the main point this thread stresses, they are still there despite the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Hey man, so you hang that stick above the scrape and put scent on it?

You know doe season is over when you catch one peeping in your bedroom window! My pet doe and her fawn are out eating chestnuts in the side yard, about 30 quail are hiding from the rain under one of my trailers, and there were 14 turkeys (2 bearded) in my yard today. It’s funny how I can look for a dry doe the whole 3 weeks, see none, and then literally 3 minutes after it’s too dark to shoot last night, I see 3 does and a cranker buck in the five minute drive home from my stand. FFS…
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Bucks like a low hanging branch above their scrapes to rub their scent on.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    What Bartell did was add a licking stick. If you don't have one, add it. Both does and bucks use scraps and will leave their scent on it with the preorbital glad as well as other glands on the head.

Here is a video from last year showing deer using fake scrapes I set up.

https://youtu.be/EQT7meilMRY

Lots of stuff on youtube on this stuff. Experiment with different things. I find that evergreen branches are a favorite, but any overhanging branch, stick or even rope will work.

If there is one thing I have learned hunting these deer; the goal posts are always moving and you are always learning. What worked last year is no guarantee this year. Rattling could bring in bucks this year and nothing next year. Same for the can call, although that has been one consistent year after year. Same for scents. I am trying some Tinks burning sticks this year just to see.

Let the games begin!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    What Bartell did was add a licking stick. If you don't have one, add it. Both does and bucks use scraps and will leave their scent on it with the preorbital glad as well as other glands on the head.

Here is a video from last year showing deer using fake scrapes I set up.

https://youtu.be/EQT7meilMRY

Lots of stuff on youtube on this stuff. Experiment with different things. I find that evergreen branches are a favorite, but any overhanging branch, stick or even rope will work.

If there is one thing I have learned hunting these deer; the goal posts are always moving and you are always learning. What worked last year is no guarantee this year. Rattling could bring in bucks this year and nothing next year. Same for the can call, although that has been one consistent year after year. Same for scents. I am trying some Tinks burning sticks this year just to see.

Let the games begin!!

Cheers

SS
    Hey thanks for the reply, i'll check that video out and look into it!

I went for my first strict WT hunt last week since my teens and I played cat and mouse with a Buck and Doe for 3 days, my last ambush spot they walked behind my set up 5 yards from me, I thought they were going to hear my heartbeat lol!

I never realized how awesome hunting them can be! Have you had success with grunts, or combo like rattling/grunts?