Page 11 of 197 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Obviously chasing a doe.
    Video file so just click on the pic.

From last year, same spot.
    He was a no show this year.
    Was hoping to see what he looked like now.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I get some pretty amazing cam videos over the years.
    I've got quite a few elk and deer that "disagree" over their perceived pecking order and someone will try and change the order of things.
    Have to say that this is one of the better "disagreements" I've recorded.
    It's the duration and intensity that makes this one worth sharing.
    There is sound on this video so turn it up.
    Click the pic to play.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Cool vid.

estrogen: it will make you crazy!!

Wow, that "ghetto cam" is getting some pretty good action.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

I thought I would share again in the scouting process and the experiences going forward as we have started our pursuit of big whitetails again just over a month ago. The focus will be on sharing the information and the experience in the spirit of bringing more interest to this under utilized hunting resource. Will update the thread with pic intel and try and offer insight that will hopefully serve to motivate others to "get in the program" and ultimately help in others success.

Pulled cams yesterday and already have a pretty special buck of interest found.
    Will post up the pics and info next week.

Hope there are many others getting out scouting this time of year and enjoying the outdoors.

Should be a great thread, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I thought I would share again in the scouting process and the experiences going forward as we have started our pursuit of big whitetails again just over a month ago. The focus will be on sharing the information and the experience in the spirit of bringing more interest to this under utilized hunting resource. Will update the thread with pic intel and try and offer insight that will hopefully serve to motivate others to "get in the program" and ultimately help in others success.

Pulled cams yesterday and already have a pretty special buck of interest found.
    Will post up the pics and info next week.

Hope there are many others getting out scouting this time of year and enjoying the outdoors.
    Looking forward to this years thread!!

Have 5 out in the last month and 3 more in the next week, just waiting for the water to go down so I can cross the creeks. Helped a buddy set up 5 for himself in the last week. Lots of deer moving around right now. Will post up what I find in my own thread later.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I set a cam up within 1 km of one of my primary locations. This primary is where the infamous G2 buck and the tall five x five had been cam'd.
    The new secondary is by a cut block and aprox 300 yards off a main FSR.
    Stem density is moderate to thick with a steep bank near by. There is no thick regen at this location.
    I am trying to establish if the bucks I capture at the G2 spot will show up on this new site.
    Both these locations are within hundreds of meters of a makeshift shooting range.

My initial set consists of water softening salt, a selenium block, a flavored block and flavored sugar beet mix.
    I like to offer up a variety of treats to ensure that I am attracting and holding the deer in any particular area in case there is competition out there. What!? I would be ignorant to think that there is not someone else potentially salting somewhere in this general area.

The location and setup.
    I generally dig out a 30' - 40' sq ft patch before laying down the salt.

After letting the cam soak a few weeks at this new secondary location I pulled the card.
    This video sums up a WT's ability to survive and thrive in busy areas that other species would have no part of.
    Listen to the rapid gunfire coming from less than 400 meters away from the makeshift range.
    Not only is this doe unphased, she actually heads in the direction of the gunfire!!!!

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/...f21a0.mp4.html

As I looked through the initial videos I was satisfied with the number of bucks.
    Several youngsters and three with a bit of age.
    The three slightly older bucks all showed good width.
    Interesting when you consider that the primary location next door showed bucks with extremely impressive tine length and only average width.

Here's one of the bucks.

I was pleased to see this re-donk-ulously wide buck on cam.
    I doubt he will be on the list for this coming season as he does not show as much development at this early stage as the mature bucks we've captured to date suggesting he's a younger buck.
    Regardless, it will be fun to watch him fill in.
    He will obviously be insanely wide for a whitetail and especially for such a young deer.

Another batch of cams arrived yesterday to which I did some initial testing on and feel confident to now hang.
    Read a lot of good things on Browning cams.
    I am extremely pleased with their detection consistency and uber quick trigger speed at first blush.
    Anxious to see their field performance.

More cams to check tomorrow.

Do you find the sugar beet mix works well?

I wouldn't say it works well.
    I am noticing that the WT seem to give it a taste once they have hit the salt.

I can comment more on this once I let this cam sit for a bit and review their reaction/preference to it.