Page 182 of 197 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    I am trying the tampons hanging from a tree scent things this year as well.

My scrapes are heating up and getting some more action. This is a location about 200m away from the other scrape. Same bucks are hitting the scrapes!

https://youtu.be/EQT7meilMR

It is getting to be prime time for deer hunting!!

Good luck to all!

Cheers

SS
    Maybe that"s way Tampons have little strings on them , makes them easier to tie them on a branch ..............................................
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Saw some guys using a plastic water bottle hanging from the cap, bottom cut out, stuffed with cotton or cloth hanging inside protecting the scent ball but allowing scent to escape.

Cool idea, but pull them when your done. Don't leave them as more junk in the bush.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Checked a couple of my spots today. Bucks are definitely starting to move, had a couple decent ones on camera and during the day to boot. Would imbed the videos if I knew how. This weekend should be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Fantastic thread for this first time WT hunter to follow as well. much appreciated everyone.

I've been reading up on rattling and scents, and it seems like people are mixed on whether to use them or not. I have the rattlin' buck bag that I tried out in October. no success. I'm wondering if rattling blind will be a net benefit, or if it potentially might scare off some bucks. my goal is to get my first WT buck, so a 2.5 - 3.5 buck would be jsut dandy.

any thoughts on whether to rattle or just focus on stealth?

same question for scent. if i am in a tree stand or ground blind facing into the wind, how does scent help? would it help to put some on my boots when i walk in?

I guess ideally i would want to hang a cloth with some scent out in the cut block, but then i am moving in the open and spreading human scent doing that.

any opinions on ideal setup using rattling and scent (or not) from a ground blind or tree stand for peak rut?
    You should be more concerned with having NO scent. Get some dead down wind spray and spray yourself down before starting your hike. Don't hang your hunting clothes near the kitchen. Cooking onions and bacon and smoking a dart before hitting the WT woods is not a good idea if you are walking. Some of my buddies have all their hunt clothes in ziplock bags and put it on at the truck to try and contain their scents. Watch some yankee deer videos on scent control. It's pretty wild how hardcore they are about scent. Even putting up ozone devices beside them to block their smells in stands.

A few days ago I walked into an area that had been logged many years ago to see if A buck would come in to my rattling.
    The wind was blowing hard and gusty.The regen trees are 30 feet tall.I found a spot to sit under a fir tree that I could see about a hundred yards in two directions on an old skid trail.There are fresh rubs and scrapes nearby and a few well used game trails.
    I did a couple of grunts then got after some serious rattling and beating the antlers on the ground also raking the leaves and brush.I did this for a few minutes with a pause in between.
    About 10 minutes later a whitetail buck came out of some thick bush down wind from me.I'm not sure he got wind of me as it was real gusty and blowing in circles.
    It was a poor shot so I passed.He just meondered down the old skid trail away from me.
    I suspect he circled me then had a look see then left.
    It was fun anyways.Normally I don't rattle under such poor conditions but seems I didn't see any deer on my way in I thought I'd give it a try anyways.
    I haven't killed a deer in this spot yet as they are very hard to see in the thick brush.I know they are there at times.
    I have killed decent whities doing the same thing in other spots I frequent even thou I saw no deer that day.You never know when one might show up.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    You should be more concerned with having NO scent. Get some dead down wind spray and spray yourself down before starting your hike. Don't hang your hunting clothes near the kitchen. Cooking onions and bacon and smoking a dart before hitting the WT woods is not a good idea if you are walking. Some of my buddies have all their hunt clothes in ziplock bags and put it on at the truck to try and contain their scents. Watch some yankee deer videos on scent control. It's pretty wild how hardcore they are about scent. Even putting up ozone devices beside them to block their smells in stands.

lol scent control is a scam. Playing the wind is the only way. Don’t waste your money on snake oil.

Deer may question their eyes,deer may question their ears but they never question their nose!

Agree with everything Sitkaspruce says!
    Beginner whitetail hunters take note!!

Had this guy come in to rattling yesterday. Just a reminder to always be on the ready (with your gun) and not lackadaisical like I was. Did two rattling sequences with grunting before this guy snuck in on me to within 20 yards. Had my rifle resting against a tree and as soon I went to grab for it he bolted. Fortunately, he just saw my movement and not me so I was able to reel him back in with grunting and take him.

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    Had this guy come in to rattling yesterday. Just a reminder to always be on the ready (with your gun) and not lackadaisical like I was. Did two rattling sequences with grunting before this guy snuck in on me to within 20 yards. Had my rifle resting against a tree and as soon I went to grab for it he bolted. Fortunately, he just saw my movement and not me so I was able to reel him back in with grunting and take him.

Awesome. I saw firsthand last season how well the grunt tube works. I was in a blind last Nov and heard footsteps in the icy snow then saw a buck walking on the other side of a cattle fence about 75 yds away. I hit the grunt tube with a short blast and the buck stopped dead in his tracks and looked in my direction. I hit the tube again softly and the buck took about 5 seconds then did a 90 and headed in my direction. He jumped the fence and I killed him. I don't go out in November without my antlers and grunt tube.