Page 147 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Awesome! glad to see the posts as numerous other whitetail junkies contribute.

Trev, Post up the pics of him if you captured any....glad you had an encountered you will never forget!

Dave, best of luck with your bow, that 5pt would be a worthy archery kill, no doubt!

ourea:

thank you once again for sharing with the rest of us your passion and knowledge of the wily whitetail

I am constantly learning a great deal from you and pass along my thanks and best wishes to you and yours

chris

Cool and thanks Chris.
    I pumped a fair amount of air in the learning tires in previous seasons. Lately I just focus on what's going on as it relates to huntable activity. WT adapt to the increasing pressure and r far more nocturnal lately as a result (my observations). The daytime timing of when their nocturnal tendencies drop becomes highly relevant for hunter success.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

^^^I agree, they are truly a remarkable, adaptable species...one co-worker of mine owns/hunts a property in the Christian Valley...last year, on exactly Oct 10th right until the end of the season, every single WT pic he got on his camera was nocturnal, an example of how they adapt in a heavily pressured area..

Another season in the books, another bunch of lessons leaned, another bunch of lessons to learn and some amazing interaction with the wildlife of BC. I am a moose hunter at heart and love the calling and response of a bull moose.....but these damn whitetails have begin to eat away at that love.....

The challenge of hunting a buck, the anticipation of seeing a buck and the decision making on whether it is "the" buck keeps me getting up a few hours from first light, dressing in cloths that make you look 100 lbs bigger, braving the cold weather and eating frozen PB&J sandwiches....call me crazy, but it is addicting!!!

Thanks Ourea and others for another great season of chasing these damn critters!!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Get 'er done tomorrow Curly!!!
    Grab that cougar by the tail and toss her out of your spot.
    I know that cat has put a wrench into ur hunt.
    Thanks Ourea. Our crew certainly put in our time from blackness to blackness and every minute between.

We had harvested 2 WT 1/2 decent bucks day prior to kittys arrival. Lots of deer seen, good movement during daylight hours.

Wow another lesson learned. We had three target bucks in the area and buddy and i passed on 5 opportunities.....but after Kitty showed.
    The door slammed shut. Nothing. Almost 4 days of only 2 deer seen between us .Several cams, kitty was making its presence known. What a huge difference.

Last day of rifle season. Agreed, we would take any buck. Nearing 8 am I rattled and used a doe bleat. Within 5 minutes , luck had it peewee walked into a lane at 8 am, buddy hunted to dark, and the end of our 8 day WTail hunt came to a close. Sure not a big buck or our main target....but will be some terrific eating venison.

Late season archery extension was considered but Kitty put a stop to that. With almost no deer moving we were done.

So much to learn, so much to do. Living far away makes it difficult.

What a fun, rewarding but challenging species to hunt....specially if your after a goodin.

Good luck to the late bow hunters. Let the temps drop, snow be deep, and Kittys go away.

Cant wait for 2019

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-02-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Kevin and family with their great deer.

Good luck coaching Team Canada at the Spengler.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I’ve been a blacktail hunter for the majority of my life (living in sea to sky region) but I spent a week this November just targeting whitetail. I found a ton of sign, including bedding spots, rubs/scrapes etc and lots of fresh tracks and scat on the snow, but other than wolves and squirrels, I didn’t see anything moving. I will be back next fall. I don’t do well just sitting, but I’m trying! Hopefully I’ll add a pic of my first wt buck next year!

^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you were in decent area redthies. Their stealth and wily habits can create an obsession to figure them out to a level that allows you to be consistent. It can drive hunters nuts seeing all that sign yet never any deer.

I liken this to some trout lakes that are known for big fish but most seldom hook up yet we know they are there.
    Think about that..

Coach swung by today and brought his recent WT.
    Broke out a decent bottle of red and enjoyed the story and catching up.
    Cheers Coach!