Page 149 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    6 miles apart.....same day, same buck.
    Thanks, that incredible.
    I know it happens in theory, nice to hear it actually confirmed.
    It's why I had a talk with one of my hunting partners who I caught walking at full speed past me (not knowing I was there), why he was doing that.
    He said cause there is no sign over here (obvious frustration had set in).
    I just said that 50 yards from now could be a nice buck who "just came on site".

A buddy of mine shot a buck at 11 am that was on another camera 11k away the night before at 10 pm. They cover a lot of ground fast, especially when they are looking for love....

One thing I have found with the whitetails in BC is that they are definitely not the same ones you see and read about in the states. Our whitetails don't live in a one or two square mile area for all their lives and trying to hunt a single buck while watching it grow to the potential you are looking for is a crap shoot here. We don't have the population, especially the does, to keep numerous buck in an certain area. The bucks will roam, from day to day, to week to week to season to season. We have does, but they too wander from area to area. Food sources, especially agricultural sources, weather, predators, hunting pressure and numbers of deer all play a part in where deer are from day to say, week to week to season to season.

An example is a spot I have that had an average of 1500 pictures/5 days last couple years. This year, they planted an oat field approx. 1.5 km away and pictures and the number of bucks and does dropped to 400/5 days and the biggest buck was a ~110" 5x5. The oat field was loaded with deer and elk all season long and are still out there feeding. One simple thing can change them up, especially whitetails. I have other examples like this - pea field last year and limited deer seen in the bush and camera, this year field was canola and deer sightings and pictures went way up, along with some nice bucks being seen.

It is always a learning game when hunting these challenging critters and it is part of the challenge that gets the blood pumping. This post is a great learning tool and we need others to add their successes, learnings and experiences.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

^^ Sitkaspruce - totally agree. After 5 years of cams I can say we have some really nice WT and they are fun to catch on cam, they cover huge areas, a buck can dissapear for months and then be seen on cam again. It would be nice to pattern a buck but the reality is, it’s a complete crap shoot.
    The World is run by those that show up.

^^^^^^^^^
    As a person and hunter that tries to quantify everything I fully support your observations Iltasyuko.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    A buddy of mine shot a buck at 11 am that was on another camera 11k away the night before at 10 pm. They cover a lot of ground fast, especially when they are looking for love....

One thing I have found with the whitetails in BC is that they are definitely not the same ones you see and read about in the states. Our whitetails don't live in a one or two square mile area for all their lives and trying to hunt a single buck while watching it grow to the potential you are looking for is a crap shoot here. We don't have the population, especially the does, to keep numerous buck in an certain area. The bucks will roam, from day to day, to week to week to season to season. We have does, but they too wander from area to area. Food sources, especially agricultural sources, weather, predators, hunting pressure and numbers of deer all play a part in where deer are from day to say, week to week to season to season.

An example is a spot I have that had an average of 1500 pictures/5 days last couple years. This year, they planted an oat field approx. 1.5 km away and pictures and the number of bucks and does dropped to 400/5 days and the biggest buck was a ~110" 5x5. The oat field was loaded with deer and elk all season long and are still out there feeding. One simple thing can change them up, especially whitetails. I have other examples like this - pea field last year and limited deer seen in the bush and camera, this year field was canola and deer sightings and pictures went way up, along with some nice bucks being seen.

It is always a learning game when hunting these challenging critters and it is part of the challenge that gets the blood pumping. This post is a great learning tool and we need others to add their successes, learnings and experiences.

Cheers

SS
    SS

Great share and thanks.

Feel free to chime in and share as much as you wish on WT......and that goes out to anyone.
    HBC needs more information and knowledge being shared.

There are a lot of eyes in the shadows that surf HBC looking to learn.
    It will only help and grow our sport.
    Cheers

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    SS

Great share and thanks.

Feel free to chime in and share as much as you wish on WT......and that goes out to anyone.
    HBC needs more information and knowledge being shared.

There are a lot of eyes in the shadows that surf HBC looking to learn.
    It will only help and grow our sport.
    Cheers
    Totally agree and thanks for all the info, but you know this thread is mute until Jazzy and Pembyisamess give there views
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Amazing what we miss really going on while we're sleeping!
    Seems like a ton of the action is while we are asleep. It might be easier to hunt these guys if FLIR scopes and night hunts were legal! Not exactly “sporting” though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Seems like a ton of the action is while we are asleep. It might be easier to hunt these guys if FLIR scopes and night hunts were legal! Not exactly “sporting” though.
    Well if one has certain type of "card" its legal ...........
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Was on the phone with Ourea once light faded on the final day of the season and told him I would start to contribute a bit to this thread. Slowly but surely I'll do my part to help keep a good thing rolling. Some great posts so far.

Turn the volume up for this one. Couple of bucks going at it in the background had this half-decent buck at full attention.

Last edited by HighCountryBC; 12-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Was on the phone with Ourea once light faded on the final day of the season and told him I would start to contribute a bit to this thread. Slowly but surely I'll do my part to help keep a good thing rolling. Some great posts so far.

Turn the volume up for this one. Couple of bucks going at it in the background had this half-decent buck at full attention.

Great video thanks for posting .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......