Page 126 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Nicely done. Good of you to include others and reap the rewards of your hard work. Congrats.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by blaker_99 View Post
    I have to mention I can't wrap my head around the giant hay bail and apples scattered all over the ground. What is hunting coming to these days? Do you guys really think that's the ultimate way to kill a big mature whitetail? I'm all for killing mature bucks but where is the fair chase in this set up? I know I'm derailing this thread a bit by my comments but I feel very strong that this type of hunting is down right redoculous. Just my opinion.
    Here's my two cents on the subject, Blaker.

I started baiting a number of years ago after a good whitey area seemed to completely dry up after a completely overgrown road was opened up and the area seemed to change overnight. After using up all my limited time with zero success I wanted to see if the deer were still there but maybe had switched to being nocturnal in the area.

Well, after 8 or so years here are my personal observations....

Baiting is a 'decent' way to see what's in the area but by no means do all the deer in the area fall for the bait. Most are EXTREMELY guarded and won't use the area when it's daylight or when you are actually there. You may see does using the site during daylight hours but you can sit days on end not see any deer. In the OK, the wind is extremely unpredictable and the weather, generally, isn't that cold. I think the prairies (including the Peace country) have a much higher success rate due to colder temps and more predictable wind patterns.
    Even when deer are coming into the bait they do so extremely slowly and will most likely bust you before they get there when the winds shift.

In 8 years I've 'rifled' one basket 4 pt and arrowed one doe....and I'm not that fussy. That's an extremely low success rate.

This year I changed up the program and went back to sitting on pinch points. Within the first two hours, I was staring at what would have been my biggest whitetail buck....but, unfortunately, I missed.
    Two weeks later I killed a solid 5 pt whitey while still hunting for archery mulies. Go figure.

So if people want to bait, let them. They certainly aren't devastating the whitetail population as some people think they are. In fact, I bet most are hunting on false hopes that a 'certain' buck will actually come in and may pass up smaller bucks.

Choose what method of hunting you prefer to do and do it! Worrying about what other people are doing is a waste of time and energy.

JMHO

Happy hunting!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Before all you baiting experts continue viewing it as ok, you might want to see how the US is starting to crack down on it. CWD areas are off limits, and spreading. Who knows what happens when predators
    concentrate around your bait areas. Your photo's tell the story.

Scent lures are still being sold in their natural form, after studies have shown that the farms are the source of many CWD outbreaks.
    Licks can contain anything producers want to throw in them.

I think theres more to our little games than meets the eye.

The fact that hunters feel they own the areas after baiting and setting up cameras is also a laugh. The the States they call it Homesteading how funny is that.

If you ever need a good read on hunting White Tails The Benoits Way is how you can really have a good time. Get on a track and go to work.

To each his own, but when the laws start to change, be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Before all you baiting experts continue viewing it as ok, you might want to see how the US is starting to crack down on it. CWD areas are off limits, and spreading. Who knows what happens when predators
    concentrate around your bait areas. Your photo's tell the story.

Scent lures are still being sold in their natural form, after studies have shown that the farms are the source of many CWD outbreaks.
    Licks can contain anything producers want to throw in them.

I think theres more to our little games than meets the eye.

The fact that hunters feel they own the areas after baiting and setting up cameras is also a laugh. The the States they call it Homesteading how funny is that.

If you ever need a good read on hunting White Tails The Benoits Way is how you can really have a good time. Get on a track and go to work.

To each his own, but when the laws start to change, be ready.
    You should lobby the cattlemen association then.
    I have hung cams on salt blocks that ranchers have dropped in the backcountry.......elk and deer hit them pretty hard.

Here is an example of one of the challenges a guy faces in this particular area......
    A member sent me a pic of one of my target bucks that he had got on his cam.
    The issue is he is 25 km away in a straight line and it is not a migratory path.
    Best pack a big lunch if you want to track large bucks in this area.

Anyway bownut, if you wish to have your negative opinions (and you're very good at it) start a new thread.
    This one is to help others .....not complain.
    Last edited by Ourea; 12-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Well done Ourea, that's a solid meat buck you helped your friend get...

I like this thread, keep up the great work Ourea!

Question Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by blaker_99 View Post
    ... I know I'm derailing this thread a bit by my comments but I feel very strong that this type of hunting is down right redoculous. Just my opinion.
    Then enlighten us oh Gifted One!
    How do YOU approach hunting mature whitetails??

Personally I have killed a rather huge pile of them, and guided for a LOT more.
    Many ways to success...

So what is yours that is so much "Holier" than the rest?

Wondering...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Then enlighten us oh Gifted One!
    How do YOU approach hunting mature whitetails??

Personally I have killed a rather huge pile of them, and guided for a LOT more.
    Many ways to success...

So what is yours that is so much "Holier" than the rest?

Wondering...
    Nog
    Nog, he's a legit hardcore big buck WT killer.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Thumbs up Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Nog, he's a legit hardcore big buck WT killer.
    Roger That Buddy.

All the more reason for him to enlighten us uneducated masses on just how it's done

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Roger That Buddy.

All the more reason for him to enlighten us uneducated masses on just how it's done

Cheers,
    Nog
    Provided it is who I'm thinking of.