Page 187 of 197 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

I have a question for you guys. I recently checked my white tail cameras and I have some decent bucks and a couple really good bucks that have found my mineral lick and salt and using the licking sticks and are hanging out for the summer so it seems. In your experience, will those bucks Leave in mid August to September and not be seen again? If you generally find this to be the case what do you do to try and keep them around for the bow season and into the fall?
    I have had these cameras up for just over a year and this kind of hunting is quite new to me. Most of the info I can find is eastern American style Whitetail which involves a lot of private property and doing food plots and cultivating their land to get books for the fall. I have used some of rack stackers Walk N’Toss this year and I am hoping it will help keep the bucks around. I did leave the cameras up over the winter and I do know when the rut is because three or four good bucks showed up for it on camera during night and day. I am hoping to possibly bow hunt this Spot in the bow season.
    Last edited by ekul246; 08-05-2022 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I have a question for you guys. I recently checked my white tail cameras and I have some decent bucks and a couple really good bucks that have found my mineral lick and salt and using the licking sticks and are hanging out for the summer so it seems. In your experience, will those bucks Leave in mid August to September and not be seen again? If you generally find this to be the case what do you do to try and keep them around for the bow season and into the fall?
    I have had these cameras up for just over a year and this kind of hunting is quite new to me. Most of them so I can find yes eastern American style Whitetail which involves a lot of private property and doing food plots and cultivating their land to get books for the fall. I have used some of rack stackers Walk N’Toss this year and I am hoping it will help keep the box around. I did leave the cameras up over the winter and I do know when the rut is because three or four good box showed up for it I’m wrong camera during night and day. I am hoping to possibly bow hunt this Spot in the bow season.
    From my experience (hunting crown land only), as long as the bucks are not pressured by humans/hunting/preds, they will be there come hunting season, until the rut when they go searching for does...and even at that, sometimes hunting pressure they will turn nocturnal in their movements rather than leaving the area all together...as long as they have security/bedding, food and water, they should be there for the first segment of the season, though keep in mind if it's lower elevation a food source can suddenly dry up during the summer, and they would most likely move higher elevation, though it sounds like you're going to be hunting private property so I'd assume it's irrigated??

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    From my experience (hunting crown land only), as long as the bucks are not pressured by humans/hunting/preds, they will be there come hunting season, until the rut when they go searching for does...and even at that, sometimes hunting pressure they will turn nocturnal in their movements rather than leaving the area all together...as long as they have security/bedding, food and water, they should be there for the first segment of the season, though keep in mind if it's lower elevation a food source can suddenly dry up during the summer, and they would most likely move higher elevation, though it sounds like you're going to be hunting private property so I'd assume it's irrigated??
    This is crown land at 1400m

OK, well assuming none of the mentioned variables have changed, I would think you'll be good to go..

Every area has it's nuances as there are a lot of variables that make up each area. I get quite a few one and done bucks and they are usually the big bucks.
    I might get one or two hammers on cam a few times in the mid summer then they evaporate. Come the rut they usually show up briefly.

Other areas smaller bucks can be pretty consistent. I think you appreciate how much time and effort I spent building and sharing this thread.....it takes time to dial things in and even then you will learn to hate them.

O

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Last year I had a big 5x5 disappear in august never to be seen again for the rest of the season. But I had only just put the cameras up and put salt down. Nothing else to keep them there. Many does and fawns lived in the area and bucks had all but disappeared through September and October. They showed up right around November 17 and were back and forth between two camera locations through to early December I think both day and night. Then the heavy snowfall came near the end of December and I think that along with having emptied the feed bags I had put up they vacated the area until early May. i have since put Rackstacker Blaze for the does and fawns in the one location and Glory in the other, but nearby location, for the bucks. I seeded with Walk N Toss a bit last fall in the old skidder trails and small clearings and again in May and just again at the end of July. Hoping the clover will keep them in the area right through the season. My hope is to hunt it in bow season and during the rut. Won’t be going for antlerless because of my moose hunt in October, unless that hunt proves to be a bust.
    I have had a few bears saunter by and a couple coyotes but no real predator activity so far since last year and no humans other than myself

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Every area has it's nuances as there are a lot of variables that make up each area. I get quite a few one and done bucks and they are usually the big bucks.
    I might get one or two hammers on cam a few times in the mid summer then they evaporate. Come the rut they usually show up briefly.

Other areas smaller bucks can be pretty consistent. I think you appreciate how much time and effort I spent building and sharing this thread.....it takes time to dial things in and even then you will learn to hate them.

O
    I absolutely appreciate how much time you’ve spent on this thread! I’ve read everything, though I’ll have to go through it again lol. I’m looking at my spot as a long term investment. There is so much to explore and areas to expand in to but I have to have patience lol. My hope is to get the area dialed and get my kids in to their first deer over the next few years and myself in to some real deer. Both cam spots right now have stands, one in a tree and one is a blind, that offer 20yd shots for bow and rifle. Being a 4 hour drive from my house in the valley, and a 300m hike from the fsr, it is ideal, in my mind, for getting the kids in to the sport. I brought three of them in to it for the first time at the end of July to check the cams, drop salt and mineral and homemade deer crack. They are familiar with the view from the cams so they thought it was pretty cool to see the locations in person and to help set up the blind and have a look at the treestand.
    I’m absorbing as much info from this thread as possible!

FYI, for rifle I have blinds 120 yards out in my better spots. WT have radar that would rival NORAD. Just the slightest sound, a gun being poked out the blind or the slightest hint of scent they bolt. Cut a shooting lane.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

The farthest shot I’d be able to get in my spots are maybe 35-40yds. It’s a pretty closely wooded area and the old skidded roads are well grown over.

The farthest shot I’d be able to get in my spots are maybe 35-40yds. It’s a pretty closely wooded area and the old skidded roads are well grown over.
    That's what chainsaws and pruners are for.